Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

MX3 Tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Default MX3 Tranny question

Hey Guys & Gals,

Have a problem with a 1992 MX3 GS with the V6 and automatic transmission.

Car will start but will not go into gear (shifter moves, but no movement in forward or reverse)

Just picked up the car from a kid that says that the engine is good but the tranny is bad, the cars runs ok, I do not know how long it has been sitting, but whenI go to start it I have to use starter fluid.

Once the car starts it wants to die quite often, even when warm. (Seems as though the idle may be set too low butI am unsure)

I noticed whenI got the vehicle home thatthe tranny level is extremely high, with the car cold I checked the fluid dipstick and it looks like a dark brown, reddish color but it is about 2 inches higher that the top notch on the stick.

Would anybody know if it would help to drain the fluid and replace or should I just plan on doing a rebuild?

Also, when the car starts, the check engine light comes on and stays on.

What should be the first thing to try in the way of troubleshooting?

Please, I need as much expert advise as I can get.

[sm=feedback.gif]

Come on Guys, I know you guys are smarter than this...

One other thing, the guy I bought this from said that when he first got it, he drove it home...it was the next day when he went to leave that he said the tranny wouldn't move into gear.
The shifter moves just fine, could it be a simple fix using troubleshooting codes? Loose shifter? Come on Guys, I need some expert opinions here.