Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Loose headers on a '92 Mazda MX-3? Or something else?

Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Default Loose headers on a '92 Mazda MX-3? Or something else?

I'm looking at a local Mazda MX-3 V6 - 1992 and the dealer says the headers are loose which is what's causing the car's problems and the dealership just doesn't want to bother.

Problems:
Has lots of blue smoke when starting, same when idling, not so bad when driving.
When idling in first with the clutch in the car automatically revs from 1000RPM to 1500RPM then cuts back to 1000 and repeats over and over.
Very large dent in front, driver's side panel - would prob. need to be replaced, or if not at least have the dent removed and repainted. Obviously doesn't relate to performance :P.
My friend found a receipt in the glove box stating "Dipstick reads dry" from the last oil change - definately burning/leaking oil + oil all over the front of the engine.

One of my friends thought the head gasket might be cracked/gone but he wasn't sure.

The dealer wants $1900 Canadian + fees/taxes for the car (after hagling), it has 250,000 KM - the car usually reatails for around 5-6 grand here for an MX-3 in really good shape, 4-5 grand for a meh Mx-3. It has cruise, power windows/doors (which I'm prety sure is standard on MX3's anyway lol) and is a 5 speed manual. No sun/moon roof.

What do you guys think? Any input on the problems/is that type of thing common? Is it worth it? Other than the weird idle and the obvious oil leak the car seemed to drive fairly good - no clutch slipping, brakes responsive, etc.

Thanks guys

PS
Found this forums off google lol

PPS
If you didn't notice I'm in Canada so readings are in KM and Canadian dollars.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Loose headers on a '92 Mazda MX-3? Or something else?

the oil on the engine is most likely rocker cover gaskets- common probem-to check pull out the plug wires and check the boots as there is probably oil on them indicating valve cover gasket. idle problem coul be many things but for 800 canadian on top of that u could have a 2.5 v6 from a mx6 probegt bought and installed-or just figure out whats wrong could be timing IAC valve or other things so if u want to keep the stock motor have it compression tested first and i want every cylinder above 160(bottom line) and even across all 6 cylinders or within 5% since the motor was run low on oil.