Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Head swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Default Head swap

I was wondering what all my options were for heads on a klde such as would i be able to use millenia s heads considering its got a supercharger maybe it flows better or heads off somthing else needing slight machining to work what are the best heads

i want to build a n/a 250hp engine

what else would i need to get there currently i have a 93 mx6 i believe is a klze bottom end and klde top end from what i was told ill find out when i get the heads off currently have a blown head gasket i have an mtx trans a set of pacesetter headers cold air intake klg4 intake manifold and kl01 cams i also grabbed the millenia s fuel rails from the junkyard

what would be my best option for cams

my engine expierience has mostly been rebuilding small block fords this is my first import and overhead cam

Old 08-25-2015, 03:42 PM

Also is there a miss match set of cams that would be good say an intake
from one engine and an exhaust from another

Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 AM

Getting 250 is going to require quite a bit of money, just so you're aware right out of the gate.

Most of it's going to be along the lines of higher compression pistons 11:1 or higher, fully balanced bottom end, a lot of porting to the heads, new valvetrain, keep your OE intake manifold and have it extrude honed, larger fuel system; injectors, fuel pump, rail (most likely custom rail), wideband O2 sensor, MegaSquirt to tune, camshafts will be custom ground.

Though it's certainly possible using the KLZE motor, adding +25% horsepower on an already very well-tuned motor is going to be difficult. At the very least, you could use nitrous and tune for E85/105.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 AM

miller cycle(2.3) engine is built more for torque than hp. max tq(advertised) is 210 ft/lbs@3500, redline is 6k. 2.5 max tq(who knows)@4500, 7k redline. 2.3 has like 10.5:1 c/r, but uses late valve timing to lower actual c/r. HOWEVER, i have long suspected mazda fudged the hp ratings of both engines for marketing. there is a post on the other group, a 2.5 owner with a lot of nonsense stuff on his engine(jet reflash, cold air intake, yada, yada), had his car dyno'd with another bone stock 2.3 on the same day. result? his supposedly 170hp engine dyno'd 121whp, 2.3 210hp dyno'd at 193. he didnt post tq ratings, which i would really have like to seen. so, either all the crap he did to his engine actually lost hp, or mazda overrated the 2.5, and mazda obviously underrated the 2.3. i think more realistic ratings would be 2.5-150hp, 2.3-230hp. and actually, i would bet the 2.3 reaches max tq lower, like at 3k. on one of the dsm groups i used to be on, someone did dyno on extrude honed intake vs non. the result? something like a whopping 4 hp gain, on like a 300hp engine. 100$ per hp is just not worth it.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 AM

how can you see 150hp at the wheels when it actually dyno'd 121? use your noggin for something else besides looking for errors. 170hp was mazda's advertised rating for the car. obviously, that is supposed to be CRANK hp, not wheel. mazda's advertised rating for the 2.3 is 210. again, CRANK hp. actual dyno was 193. do the math. the 2.3 is a miller cycle, which uses compression from a SUPERCHARGER to hold the intake charge because the intake valves close late. the 2.5 is otto cycle, to those of you who dont know much about engines. a miller cycle engine without a compressor would be called an ATKINSON cycle, used in prius. when opening the hood on the millenia s, one can CLEARLY see MILLER CYCLE on the plastic engine cover. again, those who know about engines, and i dont think you are in this group, would know the engine would have a compressor, either turbo or supercharger. how's that for a response?