Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Automatic transmission problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Default Automatic transmission problems...

Hi all this is my first post here so be kind
I have a problem with the automatic transmission. It was running fine until it started blinking the "hold" light in the dashboard for no reason (I didnt press the button on the shifter) and the car started shifting very rough.
I took the car to a shop and they said that it was running in "limp" mode and they extracted the code and said it was the Torque Converter clutch that was slipping. The reset the code and I was able to run the car for a couple of weeks but now it did it again and they were not able to reset it again.
Now, while the car is running after the reset, it runs fine and suddenly when that light comes on it runs like crap.
They say that to fix that they have to do a complete rebuild of the tranny and change the Torque converter and it will be like $2100 and I think it is really excesive.
Could this be some electrical problem with the switch in the shifter or some like that? And if it is the converter and has to be changed, can they change it without having to do a complete rebuilt of the tranny?
Thank you very much for your help...
Leo[/align]