Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

94 MX3 DEAD BATTERY/IGNITION HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Default 94 MX3 DEAD BATTERY/IGNITION HELP!!!!

A burst coolant hose sprayed down my engine, also little did I know the water got into my spark plug holes. I found this out while driving, the fluid in the holes was actually boiling!

Well, after a new set of plugs and wires, the dist cap was fine, everything seemed okay, car ran good at first. Until I noticed my tach gage went dead. Pulled over to check it out, then car won't start. Acts like battery is dead. Real dead.

NOW, jump starts fine, everything runs great until it reaches OPERATING TEMP, then gages fail and loses power, misses and wants to stall.

So whats gives, my battery is reading 12 volts, I guess it could be shot, but what did it in? Did my ALT suddenly go bad? Or is my Ign Control MOD, that BTW is integrated with the distributor (and over a 100 bucks).

BTW, after the hose down by the coolant , I cleaned all the elec plugs I could find and checked all my fuses, fuses checks out. My engine check light comes on when I turn the key, but goes out after start, not sure if it always did that, also no flashes or beeps.

Again it jumps starts and runs great until OP TEMP, then it goes to hell. ANY HELP??? THANKS...

Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Default RE: 94 MX3 DEAD BATTERY/IGNITION HELP!!!!

sounds like the ignition module is packing up if driving and your car suddenly cuts out you wait and a few minutes later it starts back up again it is most likely the igntion module from my experance
i forgot to ask is the alt chargin at 12 volts or do you mean it is 12 volts without engine running,,
to check to see if the alt is working wile running it should read above 12v on multi meter if u dont have one , just start it turn on all electrics wipers heater lights stereo etc and rev the car you should she the head lights get brighter as u rev