Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Won't start after engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Default Won't start after engine replacement

I have a 2002 MPV I just had a used engine put in and now it will not start. Home based mechanic did the work, so I am sceptical on what he is now saying. He stated the key may need to be reprogrammed, or new key to match vin on engine? Does the security feature on the key have to match engine, or is this just programmed to something in the ignition? This project has had many unforeseen items, and I don't want to pay for another thing until I know it is needed and not just more money into it without results.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:15 PM

Nothing with the PCM or instrument cluster were changed I'm guessing. The electronics have no clue if it's the original motor or the 7th motor. Should start.

Does it crank? Security light flash rapidly with key in run position?

Do you have a aftermarket security system or remote start? If so, disconnect the battery, turn the ignition to run, and reconnect the battery. Turn ignition off and then try to start the car. I've had a few successes with that.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky202
Nothing with the PCM or instrument cluster were changed I'm guessing. The electronics have no clue if it's the original motor or the 7th motor. Should start.

Does it crank? Security light flash rapidly with key in run position?

Do you have a aftermarket security system or remote start? If so, disconnect the battery, turn the ignition to run, and reconnect the battery. Turn ignition off and then try to start the car. I've had a few successes with that.
Nothing but engine, water pump, and basic belt, etc. No after market security or remote start. Security light blinks quick when key is turned and just a clicking sound.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:56 PM

Rapid blinking security light does indicate a miscommunication between key and PCM. May have to reprogram. Dumb question, but I'm sure you tried both keys.

I'm also assuming the clicking is the relays powering up and not the starter?

Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 AM

I'm also interested in this

Old 03-02-2016, 08:39 AM

Trying the starter today. It started fine prior to the engine replacement. Mechanic still has it so I'm just going by what he told me. He said if starter doesn't fix it to tow to dealership to program.