Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Stuck Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Stuck Ignition Key

Do not agree with your dealers diagnose. [:'(]#1 you do not have a TCM. Trans control is performed by the PCM. #2 the park signal that the instrument cluster uses to determine key interlock is not from the PCM. There is a 'park' microswitch on the selector lever assembly that cluster uses to determine if key interlock or shifter interlock solenoids should be operated. I have an 01 MPV in my stall right now and disabled this switch and exactly duplicated your concern. The switch is part of the selector lever assembly and does not come separately. I show retail for this part at $270 or so.

Old 05-23-2006, 05:08 PM

I had the same problem, it is a mechanical issue. There is a microswitch that detects the shift is in P. For some reason the pin in the shift mechanism misses the microswitch and it does not disconnect the solenoid to release the key. I took it appart and bended a bit the microswitch flap so it will not miss the pin. Never had the problem again. Sorry I saw the posting only now. I am a new member, was looking for some other stuff and saw this posting.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Dan,
Is that Pin easy to get at? I have the same problem and would like to fix it myself if possible. Is there any links or how to's or pictures of where/what it looks like. That would be great news if I could fix it for the wifey..

Thanks,
MIke

Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 AM

yeah me to have the same problem, since i couldnt get it off, it drains the battery and have to jumpstart it everymorning, and as usual the elctronics acting weired, the alarms doesnt operate, ill try to find that microswitch that i could flip??? i still have no idea where to find it....anyone...thanks

Old 06-01-2006, 01:27 AM

helloo, how do i get in to what you have gone fixing so far, where is that microswitch, im starting to open the steering panel stuff, and im still looking for it. hopefully i could get in a while, but if you could tell me how it would be greatly appreciated...anyway if i get on it ill let you all know

Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 PM

If you take off only the upper column cover and look on the combination switch towards top and way on the backside you will see 2 wires running to a little black protrusion. This is the back side of the microswitch. Will see if I cannot get a pic of the front side and the little trip trigger part. Is very difficult to see.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 AM

I have found it and my linkage is hitting the switch just fine. Is there a way to disable it? I read here it could be that Microswitch or the TCM (I found that on the passenger side under the glove box). Just wondering how to proceed. Right now I am popping out the fuse to get the keys out.

Thanks,
MIKE

Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM

What year MPV do you have Grapepot? Assume that is at least a 2002 as you have a TCM under the carpet at drivers footwell. The TCM plays no role at all in the key interlock system. The instrument cluster both gets the signal from that Park position microswitch and controls the solenoid that locks the key in. If you want to repair then you will need to replace the combination switch as I noted earlier in the thread. If you only want to disable then is an easy process but remember that your key will now be removeable in any gear position.
Is a simple matter of locating the connector for the shift lock solenoid and disconnecting. The connector is over on the left side of the steering column just above the ignition switch connector. Pic below is of the connector. Has two wires coming from the harness side. One is Orange and other is Yellow w/ Green stripe. Unplug that connector and key interlock will be disabled.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/A1901C1D0F984735BA47CF93E2330CC1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-15-2006, 05:57 PM

My MPV is a 2001. I saw instructions for the TCM reboot or something and found it on the passenger side. I am assuming it is the TCM.. LOL..

I'll try and disengage it for now. How difficult is it to replace?

THANKS for the tips and the pic.. That is a GREAT help.

Mike

Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 PM

2001 MPV should have the PCM and TCM integrated into one control unit behind the glovebox area. Would have a single 104 pin connector secured to the PCM with a 10mm head bolt. 02 MY saw the separation of the TCM and was then installed just at the carpet line in the passenger footwell and has two separate connector to it.
It is not difficult at all to replace the combo switch. 10mm socket and ratchet to remove air bag, 21mm socket to remove steering wheel, and the rest should all be phillips screws. If you need I can do a trial removal on our 04 shop van with some pics. Might be a little different but probably not too much.

Quick Reply: Stuck Ignition Key