Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Stuck Ignition Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Default Stuck Ignition Key

I am unable to remove the ignition key on my 2001 MPV because it stops at the accessory position. If I remove the 1GKEY1 40 amp fuse, i.e., kill the power to the switch, I am then able to fully rotate and remove the key. As soon as the fuse is re-inserted, the problem also re-occurs. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it (i.e., do parts have to be replaced)?

Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 AM
Default RE: Stuck Ignition Key

There is definetly some weird problem on your MPV. The key interlock circuit is provided power thru the BTN fuse and also the HAZARD fuse which is a battery supply circuit. The IGKEY1 circuit supplies power thru key cylinder to most everything else once key is cycled to run or start. Does not look to be any direct connection between the two looking at wiring diagram. Try pulling the HAZARD fuse and see what happens.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Removing the Hazard fuse also allows the key to be fully rotated and removed. Replace it, and the problem comes back. Is there a solenoid that needs to be replaced, or is it the entire lock mechanism?

Old 08-20-2005, 06:00 PM

Solenoid possible. Entire lock not likely. The key interlock solenoid is obviouly ok as it is doing its job and keeping you from removing your key. Power is supplied to the solenoid thru the Hazard fuse at all times. The ground for the solenoid is provided thru the microcomputer in the instrument cluster. If computer sees the key is on and the gear selector is in anything but 'park' it grounds the solenoid and key is stuck. So you either have a ground in the harness between the interlock solenoid and the instrument cluster or the instrument cluster is not getting the signal that you are in park. Does the gear selector indicator in the instrument cluster show the correct gear that you are in. (ie when in park is the 'P' underlined or highlighted in the instrument panel? That would tell us that the instrument cluster is indeed getting a "gear is in park' signal.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Yes. The instrument cluster displays the gear that is selected by the shift lever.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 AM

Thanks for return post rk2976. Have been thinking about this problem over the weekend and have a thought. If any other techs out there then try and help me out. Do not think you have a short in the harness due to pulling the IGKEY1 fuse also eliminated the problem. Since this circuit is not related to Key interlock then pulling this fuse 'killed' the instrument cluster but did not affect the Interlock circuit. If there was a short in this circuit then pulling the IGKEY1 would have no effect on the Key Interlock if it was shorted to ground in the harness since it is supplied power thru the Hazard fuse. Therefore there must be a fault in the instrument cluster logic. The correct gear is displayed so I would assume that Cluster is getting correct signal from trans range sensor but is still suppling ground for the key interlock despite getting the signal for being in Park. I think you have a fault in the Instrument Cluster computer. Wish I could give it a check before advising a replace of instrument cluster but this is best I can come up with. Maybe is time to take to dealer or trusted shop and give them the info that you have given to posts. They should be able to come up with an answer based on what we have talked about so far. If you wil PM you Vin # and mileage I will call Mazda tech line to see if they have run across this before and what others have done to repair. Sorry for rambling but putting the info to words helps me work out remote problem that I am unable to test for myself.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Saw this same problem posted on car-forums.com but there was no response. VIN is JM3LW28Y310207525.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:56 AM

Sorry but do you know you mileage as well. They always ask and I see you are currently on this topic as well. You sure do not have many warranty repairs listed. Only see two keyless transmitters in may and june of 2003 and then the cruise control cable for recall 2004f on 1/18/05. mileage there was 45139 so could use that and add some if needed. Dang warranty expired on 10/29/04 or we could be doing this under warranty

Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM

Sorry 55,296. Rather than keep draining the battery (I was pulling the fuse only at night), I decided to take it to the dealer. I don't expect a fix today, just a diagnosis. They claimed they had not heard of the problem before. I suggested they save themselves some time and call Mazda.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:15 PM

Okay. Mazda says the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is failing, and an indication that the car is in Park is not being sent. The module must be replaced at a cost of $586. The only alternative is to disable the control which would allow the key to be removed in any gear. I'll bite the bullet given the variety drivers in the family, and the desire to keep the vehicle several more years. You were on the right track. Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: Stuck Ignition Key