Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Headlights - Low Beam

Old 10-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Default Headlights - Low Beam

I have a 2000 MPV. Both low beams stopped working at the same time. The high beams work. I checked voltage and I am not getting voltage to the bulbs when switched to low beams. Is there a relay somewhere or is it in the column switch?

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Default RE: Headlights - Low Beam

Additional information: The fuses are both fine. The high beam indicator is always on when the light switch is turned on; regardless of whether or not the column switch is on high or low beams. Any tips on removing the relay in the engine compartment? I wanted to switch the relay just to test and I cannot get it to come out.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Default RE: Headlights - Low Beam

Did the relay fix the problem or did you have to replace the stalk switch? I have the same problem with my 2001. It is not bulbs or fuses.
Any help please.
David

Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Default Lowbeams do not work - Highbeam indicator always on 2001 MPV

Same problem with my 2001 MPV- just started in March 2010. I did adjust the steering column for the first time in year when wiping/ dusting vehicle interior...did that have something to do with it? Advice please. i also now have 2 extra lightbulbs...Most people reading this post probably think we don't know how to switch bulbs. It's really wierd that the dashboard Indicator light shows "HIGHBEAM" when it's not in that position. I think something got fried...
2001 MPV

Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 PM

I have the same problem with my 2001 Mazda MPV and nobody seems to know the answer. Low beams do not work. High beams are ok. high beam indicator light is on when switch is set on low beam and the low beams do not work. Fuses are good. Relay switch is good. Bulbs are good. Can anybody give me an answer. Even my local Mazda dealership service department said that they could not give me an answer. Please help.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM

One solution to intermittent or permanent headlight failure can be found on the post by SEVARGMT on 9-29-2010.

It seems to lie in corrosion of the wiring system connectors in the PJB, a specific wire connection junction box located under the passenger side glove compartment box.

It seems possible to repair the corroded pin connector but it is probably best to have the dealer replace the entire PJB to avoid repeats of this problem, as it is a dangerous situation when headlights go out at night, like mine did.

Brilliant problem solving by SEVARGMT and DJS2571. They also developed a convincing theory of what causes this problem: the air conditioning line located above this box creates condensation, which then drips down on the wire connectors and causes them to corrode, causing an electrical fault. They suggest a plastic drip sheet to avoid future corrosion.

Wouldn't it be great if Mazda assigned an engineer to read the forums for problems with their cars and prepare posts with solutions? It is plainly obvious that a problem is very common when you look at the number of "views" listed for certain topics, such the headlights (many thousands of owners have headlight failure problems). Mazda should have issued a bulletin or a recall since the corroding PJB is clearly a safety problem. This looks like a design/engineering flaw. Every electrician and plumber knows to never put moisture sources above electrical boxes. Shame on them.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by daviddarville
Did the relay fix the problem or did you have to replace the stalk switch? I have the same problem with my 2001. It is not bulbs or fuses.
Any help please.
David
I am having an issue with my 323 that sounds very similar. What is the 'stalk switch' and where did you have it replaced? Did that fix the problem?
I have to have the car inspected (safety).

Old 12-22-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by skidder!
One solution to intermittent or permanent headlight failure can be found on the post by SEVARGMT on 9-29-2010.

It seems to lie in corrosion of the wiring system connectors in the PJB, a specific wire connection junction box located under the passenger side glove compartment box.

It seems possible to repair the corroded pin connector but it is probably best to have the dealer replace the entire PJB to avoid repeats of this problem, as it is a dangerous situation when headlights go out at night, like mine did.

Brilliant problem solving by SEVARGMT and DJS2571. They also developed a convincing theory of what causes this problem: the air conditioning line located above this box creates condensation, which then drips down on the wire connectors and causes them to corrode, causing an electrical fault. They suggest a plastic drip sheet to avoid future corrosion.

Wouldn't it be great if Mazda assigned an engineer to read the forums for problems with their cars and prepare posts with solutions? It is plainly obvious that a problem is very common when you look at the number of "views" listed for certain topics, such the headlights (many thousands of owners have headlight failure problems). Mazda should have issued a bulletin or a recall since the corroding PJB is clearly a safety problem. This looks like a design/engineering flaw. Every electrician and plumber knows to never put moisture sources above electrical boxes. Shame on them.
Is there a part number for this connector? Where could I find one? Also, where is this post by SEVARGMT? I cant find it anywhere. Thank you very much.

Last edited by USMC_Dan; 12-22-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Another question
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM

USMC_dan:

I didnt replace the part as it was very expensive, just cleaned it up with fine emory cloth (to avoid residual grains in the works!) and a toothbrush , covered the harness with tape and then replaced the headlight bulbs. Worked fine, but the car was sold soon after, so I dont know if they failed again.

I suggest buying a replacement pair of bulbs plus a spare pair to keep in the car in case of failure at inopportune times (as happened to me). Electrical issues are extremely difficult to solve, and it may be much cheaper to just replace the bulbs periodically. Be careful not to cut your hand on sharp edges when replacing them.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM

I had the same problem on my 2001 MPV. When low beams turned on, no headlights and high beam indicator "on" inside. High beams worked fine when selected on. I read this post and dug out the PJB. No corrosion but I put a moisture guard on top anyways. Found a wiring diagram online and realized my headlight circuit doesn't go through the PJB. It goes through battery-headlight relay-fuses- headlights-multifuction swtch-ground. When the mfswitch is turned on, relay closes, sends power through bulbs to mfsitch. If the low beam circuit has no ground (through mfs) to turn lights on, the high beam indicator comes on but no headlights. Ohm meter showed good ground from headlight plug when mfswitch set to on/lowbeams. Ground wasn't good enough for 15amp load though. I found burn indications on low beam wire connector in mfs plug on control column. Tried to remove spade connector from mfs plug, it's like a Chinese puzzle box if you don't have the right extraction tool. Using picks, shims etc while trying to pull connector, the crimped connection must have fixed itself. I have done this twice in the last couple months. One more and I'll buy the extraction tool to replace the connector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights - Low Beam