Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

clutch bleeding problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Angry clutch bleeding problems

I own a 2002 mazda mpv and have replaced the gear box and I had to bleed the hydraulic clutch but only the last half of the clutch seems to work. when I phoned mazda they said that the slave cylinder needed to be changed so I put a new one on and still the same problems and then mazda said the master cylinder needed to be changed and still the same problems. so can any one help I have tried bleeding it and every now and then I have a full clutch peddle and works real well but then it just goes again. the 1st half of the peddle is very soft and no pressure and the 2nd half has pressure and starts to work but I need it from the top not half way. ive tried vacuum bleeding it normal bleeding can anyone else tell me if they have had the same problems and how they sorted it ??

Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Is it all fluid, or any air? Did you bench bleed the master?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 PM

get I benched it 1st and when I bleed it is all fluid and don't seem to be air at all. after ten ltr of break/clutch fluid the full peddle has come back about 3 times but then goes again

Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 PM

I'd replace the slave (again). Sounds like what you post the cup is not sealing when engaged/released. Reason for the slave suspect is you had this problem before you replaced the master cylinder.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 AM

ive replace the slave cylinder twice now and still the same problem ??

Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM

ive now got all new pipes and going to try that but if anyone else has any ideas everything will help

Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM

ok I got all new pipes and fitted them but after bleeding im still having the same problem with only having half of clutch peddle if I push the rod in on the slave cylinder I keep getting a hissing sound from the master cylinder ?? I no its not the pipe work and the slave so I can only assume it the master cylinder alltho I have changed it already but if I lightly tap the clutch peddle for about 3 minutes it gives me a full peddle and goes into gear ok but after I have pressed the peddle a few times the peedle goes spongy again

Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 PM

You don't have all the air out of it. Or the cup in the MC is issue. Was these items new, or reconditioned?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried gravity, rather than pressure bleeding?
I know some modern cars do best when the line is left open to in essence, bleed itself over time. Just be sure to check the master from time to time so you don't run out of fluid during the process.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 AM

everything is new on it but the master cylinder does not seem right at all when the peddle is pressed the piston goes half way in before it starts to hold pressure ?? if I feather the tap the clutch peddle after about 5 mins it gives me a full peddle but after two presses it goes back to the way it was.

Quick Reply: clutch bleeding problems