Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2002 Mazda MPV - Stalling out on idle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Default 2002 Mazda MPV - Stalling out on idle...

This started last Saturday and I'll explain the order of events.

07/21 - Were going out for the morning, tried to start the MPV and after starting, it would shut off. We took the other car. Later that day, thinking it was the air filter, I tried to get to it, did not have the tools accessible and gave up. Tried starting the van anyway and it worked!

Rest of the week it drove fine when it was used. We were out of town Wed-Thursday and I was home on Friday, so we took the car places, so the van sat for several days unused.

This morning my wife was going to the store. Same thing. She called me to look. Starts fine, runs fine so long as you apply gas, sounds fine. Release gas and poof. Cuts off. This time I pulled out the air filter. Looked fine. Put it back. Tried several times... same result. Had my wife try a few hours later, now it won't stay running. Cannot even keep it running to shift to reverse or drive. There is a gas smell in the garage afterwards.

Could this be the fuel filter? Something else?

Really hoping this is not major because college tuition is due this month too!

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM

Hello,

Just wondering if you received an answer to your stalling problem? I am having similar issues with my 2003 MPV.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 AM

I had a similar issue once with a Chevrolet Z-24. Fortunately for me, it happened in downtown Atlanta near a large Chevy dealer and it was repaired in about 30 minutes under warranty. I don't recall the exact details, but they replaced some sort of idle actuator. They also installed a new ECM because of a service bulletin on my car.

I don't know if you have provided enough information for a good diagnosis on a forum. You need to have some tests done to determine the cause of this problem. I hope that you know a good, trustworthy mechanic who is familiar with your vehicle.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Hard to tell. Fuel filter is not likely because it would starve the engine when you put your foot down, while your problem is start/ idle.
Is your CEL on? If not, it's probably not your EVAP system either. Engine idle control ? maybe, but they don't usually result in a smell of gas. My guess (and that's all it is) would be your fuel pressure regulator or regulator control solenoid. You'll really have to get an OBD scan done (and don't forget to ask for a hard copy readout).

Old 05-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Please google "Idle control Valve".
My 2004 just had the same issue, only difference is that mine was running fine until I got off the gas during while driving in gear.
It costs less than $50.00 and takes 3 minutes. Its sitting to the right rear of the from plenum, right on top. Easy to get to and swap.

Also, the C EL never came on.

Its a very common issue with the Mazda MPV and its Ford cousins that use the same engine/control valve