Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

babyhuey you are amazing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Default babyhuey you are amazing

You were so right, we were looking for a reason for the MAP sensor to show up on a CEL code after trans. changed ,remember and you told me to check the selenoid behind the air filter!!! well the air hose is not connected to the selenoid nor can I find the end which is supposed to be connected. When I do find it, would this have caused damage to any thing else or sould i clean any thing before i reconnect?? Also should the transmission guy accept responsibility for the problem??
Thanks Again!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Default RE: babyhuey you are amazing

He is the man.....

Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Was hoping that was all the problem was debora. Just happens to be something that have seen a number of times after work has been performed in that area of the engine compartmet. The upper vacuum line at the solenoid should go to the boost sensor located on top of air cleaner housing. The lower one should be attached to a metal port on theintake manifoldright next to the EGR valve. Should not have to do anything except reattach the vaccum line. Line being off is only creating a small vacuum leak so no damage should have been done. You might even notice an increase in fuel economy after reattaching the hose. Very probable that the trans shop left the line off but doubt they will own up to it. Nice thing is that the repairneeded is not only easy, it is also free.
See ifI can get you a pic of where the vaccum line should attach to engine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/08B67621625B430CBF02AD803D6347F1.jpg[/IMG]
This picture is of a 2006 MPV so is a little different. Arrow is pointing to the EGR valve. Vacuum port on this application is directly on the valve but on yours I believe it should be on the silver manifold just about where the tip of the arrow is. Vaccum line from solenoid is marked with a piece of green tape. Boost sensor is on the right side of pic with the gray connector.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:14 AM

Ok so call me stupid but the hose that I see on my van that looks like the one you indicated goes to a black cannister type thingbelow the MAP sensor and air inake. Is that the wrong one?? or did they put it in the wrong spot?or have I got the wrong hose? I am so sorry to keep bothering you butthanks in advance

Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Would definitely not call you stupid debora. The person who hooked up those lines on the other hand..
You said that the vacuum line in the pic that is connected to port near EGR valve is hooked up to a canister below the air cleaner intake tube . Does it look like the part shown in drawing below and is attached to the air cleaner housing with a gold colored clamp??
If so this is the catch tank for the evaporative emmission system. If is hooked up to that it is beyond me how you are also not setting a P0441 purge flow malfunction code. That canister or catch tank should be connected to a solenoid valve that is mounted directly onto the flexible intake air boot on the front side.
Think I better get you a vacuum hose routing diagram posted by do not remember what year your MPV is. There are some differences in 01 and earlier. Let me know what model year and will see what I can get to try and straighten this out a little.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/AB533715A0334BBCAB485CFE1CB50861.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 AM

Yes it looks very much like the one in the pic only mine has another nipple on the top facing directly up. The year of the van is 2000 and a diagram would be great. thanks again

Old 06-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Here are a couple of vacuum daigrams that may help straighten things out a bit. Not the greatest but should help some.There should be be a line from the firewall area that comes from down under and back of the car connected to the catch tank. The other line on the catch tank should go to the upper nipple on the solenoid valve located on the flexible air intake duct. The line on the lower nipple of this same solenoid heads over to the throttle body area where it connects to the PCV valve. MAP/Boost sensor and solenoid routing is fairly self explanatory.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/B9EFE76F69244E949F0DA6A7E52C054B.gif[/IMG] This one does not show purge solenoid routing well

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/33F6FAE55D5A4E94AD69BDF0549FCDF6.gif[/IMG]Better diagram of purge solenoid valve routing

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/86FD10D894B34959B5C2CFF84A5D5225.gif[/IMG] This is what the PCV valve will look like.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:52 AM

Ok so on my van the hose that comes off of the EGR valve does go to the catch tank but my catch tank has another open nipple at the top that goes straight up. I had a look at another MPV 2002 and this hose is on the boost sensor seninoid but if I remove it from the catch tank what goes on there, your diagrams don't have this extra opening. Mine is a 2000 and it does have the two hoses off of the side.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 AM

the extra nipple on the catch tank is not shown on your diagram of the catch tank

Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM

I think I am understanding now the source of confusion about this spare nipple on the catch tank that points straight up. Take a close look at it and you should see that it is just a casting part and not a vacuum attaching point at all. There should not be a hole in the middle but will just be solid plastic. There should be nothing going to this nipple as it is really not one. Perhaps on another application for another car maker this is actually a port used for some purpose but not on yours. Actually had a 2001 in the shop this morning so I took out the air cleaner housing so you could get a good idea of how everything should be routed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/CB4B2441513C46DAB33D4FD4B7EC8317.jpg[/IMG]
This image is the catch tank removed from van. The protrusion on the right side top is the one I am assuming you are talking about. It is not a vaccum connection point but only a casting. There is no hole in the middle as you will be able to see

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/9B208488808A4FD3942A760A3A59494D.jpg[/IMG]
This is how the catch tank, purge solenoid valve and pcv hose lines are all routed. The left side line from catch tank goes up to the solenoid valve on the intake duct. The other line on this same solenoid comes down and connects to the upper port of the EGR valve.
The line on the right side of the catch tank goes to the metal pipe by the brake master cylinder shown in the picture below.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/6C8963C166C64CFB90B4C93060C4F2FD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/BB831C3236EB44D0BAC42BB4C5577B32.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the Map sensor, solenoid valve and EGR valve with vacuum line connection point. Not the best pic but hopefully can compare with your own set-up. Is fairly straightforward. Make sure the lines to the solenoid valve are hooked up as shown. When the solenoid releases vaccum to the boost sensor it needs to be able to vent this to atmosphere. If the lines are hooked up backwards then vaccum will not be allowed to vent and you will instead create a small vaccum leak due to the configuration of the solenoid.