Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

1991 MPV Headlights turn on by itself when parked

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Unhappy 1991 MPV Headlights turn on by itself when parked

Hi I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to fix this issue. My van headlights keep turning on by themselves and draining the battery when I am away from the vehicle.

When I parked the van and turned off the ignition, they are off. If I come back in an hour, they are on again which is draining the battery.

I just tried starting the van again today. The engine will not turn over. However, there is power because the hazard lights turn on. When I turn the ignition, it just clicks. But I haven't gotten a boost yet to really be able to tell. All I know is that I drove it yesterday and it got me home. In the morning I tried to start it but it was dead. So the lights must have turned on again and drained the battery. But if they were draining the battery, would I still be able to use the hazard lights?

Is this a relay that is causing this? If so, where do I find it on the vehicle to replace it? If it's anything else, what could it be?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM

Your headlight switch is the culprit. You do not need to remove the steering wheel to change the switch. If you need detailed instructions, let me know.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by fourwayz
Your headlight switch is the culprit. You do not need to remove the steering wheel to change the switch. If you need detailed instructions, let me know.
Yes if you could please give me detailed instructions, that would be great!

Old 05-25-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by fourwayz
Hello good evening, I've been having the same issue for sometime on my 1996 MPV. So far I've dealt with it by removing and putting back the head lights fuse when driving at night . I was told by a mechanic that sometime the DRL module can do this, in fact my DRL hasn't been working for sometime. The Module was already changed once about 15 years ago. It's weird because if I start it when the lights are on spontaneously they go off, then if I pull the parking brake they go on again; all of this of course with the Light Switch Off. At times if they're on with the light switch Off and Engine Off and I Push Up light switch as for a the Right Signal at times the head lights go off.

One mechanic told me to disconnect the wires form the DRL module but I believe I already pulled the DRL fuse off sometime ago.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you