Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

02 MPV Oil Light Flickering & Overheating Issue

Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Default 02 MPV Oil Light Flickering & Overheating Issue

Been having several issues with my 2002 MPV. Same problems and most everyone else but the other day it overheated on my way home from work, all the lights on the dash came on and then it just died. Had to call AAA to tow me home. Yes, it has coolant in the radiator and overflow. I must mention that the check engine light is always on and it has been checked out for this issue before but still remains on. Not a surprise as this is a known problem. Anyway, I can drive it for a very short period of time, like 5 - 10 minutes before it quickly starts to overheat again. Drove it today for about 10 minutes and the temp was steadily rising. Right as I was about to turn it off I noticed that the Oil light on the dash was flickering. Does anybody know what would cause the oil light to flicker? Could it be in connection with the overheating problems?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 AM

If you dont have enough oil in the engine you can overheat the car that way, check your oil now before you do major damage. The oil also acts like a coolant just not as efficient of one. Since your light was flickering your already below the minimum oil pressure required to protect the engine so SOME damage has been done.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Also:
It is possible that the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. You would know if the engine warms up but the radiator hose stays cold.
The water pump may have failed therefore the coolant does not recirculate.
Does the fan come on?
The head gasket may have failed.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Also:
It is possible that the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. You would know if the engine warms up but the radiator hose stays cold.
The water pump may have failed therefore the coolant does not recirculate.
Does the fan come on?
The head gasket may have failed.
All these would also affect your oil pressure, hot oil is thinner therefor you have less pressure. Should have asked earlier but why is your check engine light on? There should be a code stored that you can retrieve.