Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

02 MPV missing and complete loss of power under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Default 02 MPV missing and complete loss of power under load

Our van overnight starting missing and has absolutely no power when driving and cannot climb even the smallest hills. It seems to be running very rich and smells like gas terribly.

The check engine light is not on right now.

I do not hear any hissing to indicate a vacuum leak and have changed the large hose at the back on the engine a few years ago due to it melting.

I do hear a "sucking" sound after the engine is turned off but cannot seem to locate where the sound is coming from.

Please HELP.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

Is it a V6? This vehicle is old, here's my recommendations.
I am thinking clogged catalytic converter, more than likely melted, due to raw gas entering it. All cats need to be checked and possibly replaced, especially if melted.
More than likely all new ignition coils and plugs need to be changed as well as cleaning egr, throttle body, maf sensor.
Possible O2 sensor time change as well-----may get away with putting a good cleaner in fuel tank like 2 litres of lacquer thinner for 1/2 tank of fuel. (not paint thinner).
Change PCV valve.
Flush and fill coolant.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Default What kind of gas?

Originally Posted by whtta95
Our van overnight starting missing and has absolutely no power when driving and cannot climb even the smallest hills. It seems to be running very rich and smells like gas terribly.

The check engine light is not on right now.

I do not hear any hissing to indicate a vacuum leak and have changed the large hose at the back on the engine a few years ago due to it melting.

I do hear a "sucking" sound after the engine is turned off but cannot seem to locate where the sound is coming from.

Please HELP.

Thanks,

Matt
What type of fuel?
Try a few tanks of premium.
Look at you hoses. Are they cracked? Replace those first.