Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

too much brake cleaner sprayed in throttle body and EGR ports

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Default too much brake cleaner sprayed in throttle body and EGR ports

I had a friend help me clean the throttle body, I do not know much about this and he mostly works on big trucks and farm equipment. Code said I had egr flow problems and I read where cleaning the throttle body might take care of it. My friend sprayed about the whole can of brake cleaner in the throttle body and down EGR ports (that seemed like a lot to me) and when we started it up about a half hour later it smoked like **** and runs like crap now. No EGR code anymore but I'm not sure what was else was ruined .
New codes are P0505 Idle control system malfunction Autozone shows possible causes 1. Large vacuum leak 2. Blocked air intake or exhaust system. 3. Throttle body damage. or 4. Engine mechanical condition.
P0300 Random cylinder misfire Possible causes. 1. Lean Air/fuel ratio. 2. weak ignition system. 3. Engine mechanical condition. 4. Vacuum leak affecting one cylinder.

No longer smokes just runs rough, kind of lurches at stoplights. Any ideas on what we damaged?
New spark plugs and wires have been put in as well as idle air control valve but nothing has changed. Also put in new distibutor cap and rotor since was planning on anyway, it has 105K miles. Any more ideas before giving up? My fear is that Mazda will just replace anything they can think of and charge through the nose.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM

I did the same thing when cleaning my throttle body. I think it ruined my tps sensor because when I replaced it, it stopped. So try the tps sensor and if there are any cracks in your air intake hose, replace it.