Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Default Spark plugs?

Hey every body, what spark plugs are recomended for a 2001 millenia s.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 PM

ngk PZFR5F. beware. if you go to an auto parts store(autozone, oreillys, pep boys) chances are they will have the wrong info on their computers. what is critical is the gap. it MUST be .7-.8mm(.028-.032 in), or you can kill your coils. and do NOT believe the parts person who tells you to just regap them. any precious metals tip plug is NOT to be regapped. watch out for any ngk plug with -11 after it. that means the gap is 1.1mm(.044), WAY too big. and dont get iridiums.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by keninn
ngk PZFR5F. beware. if you go to an auto parts store(autozone, oreillys, pep boys) chances are they will have the wrong info on their computers. what is critical is the gap. it MUST be .7-.8mm(.028-.032 in), or you can kill your coils. and do NOT believe the parts person who tells you to just regap them. any precious metals tip plug is NOT to be regapped. watch out for any ngk plug with -11 after it. that means the gap is 1.1mm(.044), WAY too big. and dont get iridiums.
Thank you very much! I also forgot to mention that my check engine light came on but is no off, I took it to get checked and I was told that Cylinder 6 misfire so im guessing that it may be a bad coil or plug can you give me so info on that! After 120k im assuming that its time for tune up!

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by silvss03
Thank you very much! I also forgot to mention that my check engine light came on but is no off, I took it to get checked and I was told that Cylinder 6 misfire so im guessing that it may be a bad coil or plug can you give me so info on that! After 120k im assuming that its time for tune up!

Thanks,
Daniel
mazda recommends plugs every 60k. what happens to a LOT of 2.3 owners is that they take the car to a shop. the shop only does the left bank(2-4-6), because getting to the right bank(1-3-5) takes a couple of hours. a LOT of stuff has to come off. when i change plugs(and we have 2 99s'), i pull both intercoolers, the battery, egr valve, the 4 solenoids in the back, move the throttle cable, and a bunch of other stuff i have forgot. most of this is just to get at #5 coil connector. you will also find a few of the wells with oil in them. this contributes to plug fouling, and coil death. a new coil will cost you. about 174 online, way more at a local dealer. the right bank(rear) coils get a lot more heat than the left, you might want to switch them, that way they might last a bit longer. if i were doing this job, i would charge at least 3 hours labor. it is not difficult, just a lot of stuff has to be removed. there are no shortcuts.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not familiar with the Millenia but that sounds like keninn is VERY familiar w/the engine compartment of these cars and offers some very detailed as well as good advice.

Thanks a bunch for chiming in, keninn!!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:33 PM

Brand new these plugs are ready to go no need to re-gap them?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Brand new these plugs are ready to go no need to re-gap them?
IF you get the correct one. the new ngk part number is 3741. it comes with the proper gap. again, ANY spark plug with precious metals tip(and this is one of them) are NOT to be regapped. call ngk and ask them. lots of parts stores have this plug in their computer, but do not carry them. they may try to sell you an "equivalent" spark plug, but the gap is critical to the 2.3mc motor. they might tell you to just regap it. dont do it. when you see how much labor there is to changing these plugs, you will want to put the correct plug in there, and not have to touch it for another 60,000 miles. if you put the wrong ones in there, they will probably have to come out, and may also damage some of the coils. every time the right bank plugs have to come out, plan on 2-3 hrs labor to do it.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM

IF you get the correct one. the new ngk part number is 3741. it comes with the proper gap. again, ANY spark plug with precious metals tip(and this is one of them) are NOT to be regapped. call ngk and ask them. lots of parts stores have this plug in their computer, but do not carry them. they may try to sell you an "equivalent" spark plug, but the gap is critical to the 2.3mc motor. they might tell you to just regap it. dont do it. when you see how much labor there is to changing these plugs, you will want to put the correct plug in there, and not have to touch it for another 60,000 miles. if you put the wrong ones in there, they will probably have to come out, and may also damage some of the coils. every time the right bank plugs have to come out, plan on 2-3 hrs labor to do it.
OK great I just purchased 6 of the ngk 3741 so im good there... Now about the coils #6 cylinder has a misfire should I replace the coil as well or just the plugs? Im hoping its just a bad plug what do you think? Im no mechanic and I don't have the cash to hire one so im trying to fix this myself.

Thank you,
Daniel

Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM

OK great I just purchased 6 of the ngk 3741 so im good there... Now about the coils #6 cylinder has a misfire should I replace the coil as well or just the plugs? Im hoping its just a bad plug what do you think? Im no mechanic and I don't have the cash to hire one so im trying to fix this myself.

Thank you,
Daniel
you are lucky. #6 is easy to get at. cyl 2-4-6 is left(front) bank. what you should do is change the plugs, clean the wells out really good, then switch 6 with one of the other 2, and mark them. if your plugs have 120k on them, there is a good chance it is the plug. if the missfire follows the coil, then it is bad. you can also ohm the coils, but you need an analog multimeter, digital will not work. one of the other forums has the info, look for a posting by frank zao. i dont bother switching, i just put another one in. i have a couple sets i got off ebay, and the left bank is very easy to get at.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 PM

OK so I got #2 #4 and #6 complete but am now having some trouble getting to the #1 #3 and #5. I cant remove the intercooler tube im sure I got every bolt holding it down off! What does it take to get it OFF? It about drove me NUTS....

Quick Reply: Spark plugs?