Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Seeking help with stuck steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Default Seeking help with stuck steering wheel

Hello,

I'm new here... am hoping to get some opinions on a problem my 2000 Millenia is having. It has the power tilt on the steering wheel and when you turn the car on and off it lifts or lowers the steering wheel. It also has that tilt button and and auto button on it. I went to turn my car on and the wheel just stayed stuck in the up position. when I push the tilt button you can hear a faint clicking noise but nothing happens. Could this be the little motor in there or something as simple as a fuse? thank you!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM

I took the motor out (cut plastic recessed piece below motor) cleaned the motor, brushes ect... moved the nylon gear to lift the wheel a little and a chunk fell out! Guess the wheel will have to stay put!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by leonard
I took the motor out (cut plastic recessed piece below motor) cleaned the motor, brushes ect... moved the nylon gear to lift the wheel a little and a chunk fell out! Guess the wheel will have to stay put!
there was a tilt wheel motor on ebay for like 10 bucks. no bidders, dunno if it is still there. i have 2 brand new ones i bought of ebay, or i would have gotten it

Old 06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Default power tilt steering wheel stuck- problem solved

My 2001 millenia steering wheel stuck in the up-most position. It would click when the down button was pressed but that was it. I read many posts from many different cars owners with similar problems but not any good remedies and had to learn the fix by myself.

After removing the bottom of the steering wheel cowl I then removed the wheel position (slider) switch. Then, used a z-shaped phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 drive motor screws. I found the motor and screw drive in good condition, and the motor would turn easily when the button was pressed. I tried using a flat-bladed screwdriver to turn the nylon gear on the column and it wouldn't budge. Next I loosened the locknut and backed off the allen set within located on the right side (from front, above drive motor) of the steering column assy. This didn't immediately solve the problem, so I loosened the nut on the very rear of the assy (connects to the steering column tilt shaft) and voila, the nylon gear turned with ease...
I then replaced the drive motor and used the button to position the steering wheel into a drivable position, and re-tightened the nut on the rear of the assy. I found that the allen set was actually too tight when I put it back in the original position and caused the column to drag, so I backed it out until it went up and down freely, then re-tightened the locknut. After replacing the bottom cowl it worked great. Hope this helps someone else in the future...