Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Need advice on Synthetic for 01

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Default Need advice on Synthetic for 01

I'm wondering if anyone has/is running synthetic oil in their Millenia? I have a 01 (no milly) and I've been told not to run synthetic in the engine by a Mazda dealership but they didn't tell me why. Just wanting some advice/opinions from others. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Can't tell you why,but I have 181,000 miles on my '95 useing dino oil.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZoomZoom81
I'm wondering if anyone has/is running synthetic oil in their Millenia? I have a 01 (no milly) and I've been told not to run synthetic in the engine by a Mazda dealership but they didn't tell me why. Just wanting some advice/opinions from others. Thanks in advance.
Ask the dealership to put their recommendation in writing along with specific reasons why and references to Mazda corporate publications that support their reasons. My bet is they hmmm and haww and then decline to do so. Said another way, my bet is that if you check the Owner's Manual of your car it will say quite specifically that synthetic oil is acceptable so long as you don't exceed the recommended oil change interval.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks Shippo. Although I don't have my owners manual lol, so anyone know what it says about synthetics?!?! And what is the change levels? I've read more than once it's between 5000 and 7000 miles. I'm also debating on what synthetic to get. I've pretty much been a Castrol diehard since I was able to drive, so of course I'm putting Castrol SynTech in mind. Also thinking of Mobil 1 synth. Any recommendations?

Royal Purple looks nice but I don't much like the price tag of a QT lol.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 PM

well, lookee here:
http://mr2.com/ARTICLE/Mobil1.html

some things that are not in the article. at around 660k, the car blew a coolant hose, and the computer shut it down. the next day, the engineers took the engine apart, and measured the wear. there was none, so they reassembled it, and ran it to a million miles. then, the car was driven to vegas, and put on display. then, it was driven back to new york, and it now lives in the bmw museum in munich. NO other oil company has been proud enough to spend the time and money to prove how good their oil is. you wanna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk. and mobil is the only one who has. we have 2 99's, one we bought new, and it has been on synthetic all it's life. the second one we got used, with right at 60k, and it has been on synthetic since then. both have about 125k on them now.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Well, I put Mobil 1 synthetic in last night and it runs amazing.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Yup, I've never had issues with Synthetic...

Old 06-06-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ZoomZoom81
Well, I put Mobil 1 synthetic in last night and it runs amazing.
so, now what do you think about the dealer?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Dealer is crap Kennin. As of today, it's still runnin great with the Mobil 1 syn. Runs smoother, cooler, and the blow by is gone.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
t2t

The only problem I've experienced in running synthetic oils is with gaskets and seals leaking. This, of course, is based on switching over to synthetic with my vehicles nearing 100K on the odometer. It's actually preferable that one starts with synthetic early on in their vehicles - the seals and gaskets will age accordingly with the synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Synthetic for 01