Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Mazda Millenia issue 2.5L V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 AM
Default Mazda Millenia issue 2.5L V6

Hello all,
I've looked around the site many times and I'm now a member. I was wondering if someone could chime in and help me look at the situation with my car.

I own a 2002 Mazda Millenia P 2.5L V6. I have right at 80K mile right now on the car. I'm the original owner and I've always taken good care of it.

Not long ago, I had the timing belt and water pump replaced. I paid $ 625 for the labor,pump,belt, and a couple of other blets replaced as well. After 2-3K miles later, I noticed a ticking sound that turned into another sound that made my car sound like a playing card in the spoke of a bike wheel going against it. It's the same sound I had when I had the timing belt replaced. The sound is coming from deep within the motor.It's not a sticking valve. I changed the oil, flushed it, new oil. Plus I've always have ran Mobile 1 since the day I've owned the car.

I took my car back to the guy who replace my belt. He told me that he thinks its a lifter problem. He said that he noticed it a little when he replaced my timing belt, but I'm wondering why didn't he say something about it when he replaced the timing belt.

He is not for sure that it's the lifter, but it would cost me $200-$300 for him to put in the labor to take off the covers to see. He went on to say that the 2.5L V6 has been known to have lifter problems. He also stated that it's best that I replace all of the lifters. The job would cost $ 1,200-$1,300.

That would mean close to $2,000 I've put into the car at that point. My car is paid for, but as you know, the value of Mazda Millenias are not that high. My car is in great shape otherwise, body.etc...good paint, interior...
My car is maybe worth $5,000 on a good day.

I was wondering if anyone could chime in and if anyone happens to know if this is a problem for the 2.5L V6 models? Is it worth the price to fix the car or is he quoting me a high price?

Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
DRO
Exclamation Damn

I had the same problem actually my car was tickin and i changed the whole engine and transmission it was cheaper he's pimpinng you

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
DRO

The samething was wrong with my milli i swapped my engine for an 02 i have an 00 rite above the belt a screw was ticking against the frame of the car but it would stop when i hit 35 and over i think an engine swap will be cheaper do some lookin around before you pay that pimp

Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Thanks for speaking up. I feel that it's a little costly for the job. I'm now looking at how much an engine and trans would cost, with the labor. I'm just really shocked considering the motor has just a shade under 80K on it. I would have figured I could at least go 100,000K??? I'm really starting to think this car is a money pit.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sterlingsharp1
I'm really starting to think this car is a money pit.
That's why the resale value is so low.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM

you dont have to change out all the lifters, only the bad ones. a real mechanic would be able to tell which ones are bad. sounds like limited diagnostic abilities here. and yes, the car can be a money pit if you have to pay someone to do all the work.