Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Fuel trim bank 1/Shift solenoid A code errors.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Default Fuel trim bank 1/Shift solenoid A code errors.

Hi, I got my Mazada Millenia S 1995 scanned some days ago and I got 2 different error codes I have no idea what that means. I hope if some body in the forum can give some ideas.

I lived in NYC for 6 years and I never needed a car there, now I moved to LA and a car is a necesity here. so I bought a Mazda Millenia S 95, i liked the car, but recently the check engine light went on.

The codes are as follow:

P0170 - Fuel trim Bank 1
P0750 - Shift Solenoid A

The first one I have no idea what could it be.
The second one I guess has to be with something in the transmission (gear 1 to 2) or something like that. I don't know how if the solenoid is just a piece, or is a sensor that can be checked. I don't know where is located, etc etc.

I don't know either if should I go to a mazda dealer which will be very expensive as all dealers are or go to another mechanic.
Also I have no idea if the two errors are something serious or not. Since the light went on, I have not felt any detriment in the car performance.

I hope anybody in the forum can give me some clues.

To BABYHUEY: I don’t’ know if you will read this post, but if so; could you please tell me how can I find those images you have been attaching to some of your post? Unfortunately, I don’t have the Owner’s Manual of the car, when I bought it, the manual was missing. I am trying to get a used Owner’s Manual let see if I have good luck.

Thanks

Old 03-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Fuel trim bank 1/Shift solenoid A code errors.

Hi cuyuni and welcome to our little forum group.

Congrats on purchase of Millenia S. I bet moving from NY to LA was quite a change

The code P0170 is indicating some type of fuel trim malfunction on the right bank of the engine. That is the group of 3 engine cylinders at the rear or closest to the firewall. A fuel trim is your engine computers ability to monitor how rich or lean the engine is a make changes accordingly to keep the amount of air and fuel being burned at an ideal level. As components wear or get plugged such as worn spark plugs or clogged air filter it affects how rich or lean the intake air is. This trim allows the computer to make temporary changes to the mixture in compensation. When the fuel trim is compensated in the lean or rich direction so far that the computer can no longer make correct adjustments it sets a code P0170 for the right bank of cylinders or a P0173 for the left bank of cylinders.
Your engine may have reached one of those limits for the right bank of cylinders. Code does not give any indication about if it was too rich or too lean on early models such as your. There are a ton of different things that could cause either of these codes to be set. When the code was scanned they should have been able to access Long and Short fuel trim levels in the Freeze Data. Is there any chance you would have a record of those Trim levels?

The P0750 does in fact indicate a possible problem with one of the shift solenoids in the valve body of the transmission. There are a series of resistance checks for the solenoid that can be performed but if is shifting thru each gear it may not show up right away.

I think that possibly the best thing you might do at this point is to clear the codes and see if any come back on since you are not noticeing any driveability problems. There are times when a temporary glitch in the system sets a code that never comes back after being cleared. If you can get ahold of the Freeze Frame Data from the scan then we can at least have an idea of the engine being too rich or lean and go from there. As for who to take the car in to have checked. Ask around for recomendations from colleagues, freinds, etc for a good honest shop that does good work. Has to be some in the area.

Check ebay for an owners manual. I saw quite a few for a 95 millenia. The pictures and diagrams that I put in with some of my posts come from Mazda's technical site. I believe it is available for the public to access but is fairly expensive, or so I have heard. Anything in particular that you are looking for??

Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 PM

Thank you babyhuey for the info and the welcome.
Yeap, quite a change from NYC to LA. Weather, people, lifestyle, etc, etc. But definitely I like it.

I will tray to get the codes with the freeze frame data, I’ll do what you said. Whatever the freeze frame data is, I will post it here again so you can help me out a little bit.
By the way, I heard that Autozone scans the codes by free, is it that true? Or they charge for the codes?

In the meantime I added the additive to clean the injectors and I will try to change the gasoline filter and air filters just in case.

Well about the diagrams, I am looking for the location of the Mazda Millenia S' sensors and the location of the gasoline filter, I couldn't find it. I will try to get the Owner’s Manual in eBay as well.

When I moved here to LA I was thinking to buy something new first, but then I decided to buy an used car for my home-work-home commute and something new for weekend trips. I was thinking about a Mazda 6 but I didn't know anything about Mazda. Now, when I bought the used car, it was a Mazda well now I can feel how Mazda is and perhaps next year I will try a new Mazda 6 jeje. So far I like the Millenia S, is big enough, has power, when the engine is idling I can barely feel that the car is on, the engine is very smooth. When I stop at the freeway entrance, it accelerates very well to the freeway regular speed.

I need to play a little bit with the CD changer, it doesn’t work. It checks the CDs but then return an error in the screen. I will try to find out what’s going on before I decide to buy a new one. The other thinks doesn’t work, is the information screen above the a/c in the dashboard. Those are the only two things don’t work in the car so far.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:33 PM

the fuel filter is accessible from the trunk. take off the carpet, and you will see a round plate, up near the back seat. remove that plate, and the filter is under there. i go at it from the back seat, thru the ski door. some people remove the back seat. the display you can get off ebay for cheap, usually around 20 bucks. that part of the dash is easy to remove, 2 screws, and a good yank, but you will have to disconnect a lot of wires. the cd changer is probably fubar, again, an ebay radio is around 50 bucks, they are really easy to change. you gently pry off the outer edge of the face, then you need 2 pairs of din removal tools. i have to put the key in the ignition, and move the shifter back to clear, then wiggle the radio, and it comes right out. if you get stuck, the faux wood trim has a couple of screws, then just prys out.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:24 PM

The Millenia S is an extremely smooth running car with nice power for accel. Autozone does do a free code scan with the idea that you will then purchase whatever is needed to fix it from them. I do not know if they can provide the Freeze Frame Data with their scanner though. Freeze Frame Data is vehcile operating information that is stored along with the malfunction code. Vehcile speed, engine RPM, Mass air flow amount, Fuel trims, engine coolant temp, etc. This info can occassionaly be used to determine the malfunction but more often can be used to exactly duplicate the driving condition when the fault occured that turned on the CEL. We are primarily interested in the Long and Short Fuel Trim numbers for Bank 1 and Bank 2.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM

autozone cannot do freeze frame data. thier knowledge is very limited. much to the chagrin of most people, who expect not only to get their codes read, but also diagnosed. when the codes are extracted, the people at autozone then refer to a manual, based on their own facts, with probable causes listed in the most common to least. for instance, our first encounter was the p0173, fuel trim malfunction. autozone said most likely was the MAS. after consulting the service manual, yah, it might be the mas, but most common is vacuum/air leak. dtc are not all specific to a part, but rather, to a system. several parts may influence the system. too many people think places like autozone should know what the problem is, and then they get mad when they dont. they are NOT technicians, they are parts people, with limited knowledge

Old 03-16-2006, 07:00 PM

well well, yesterday I supposed to go to a mechanic a friend recomend me and guess what? In the morning when I was turning on the car, no engine light on. It was off [sm=smiley25.gif]. I gess that when the light is off no error is reported, am I right? The only thing I did before the CEL went off was using an additive to clean the injectors.

Any way, with the CEL on or off I will change all air filters and gas filter and even the gas tank cap just in case.

Thank you for the help to everybody in the forum, I will be around while I am a Mazda owner so I can learn a little bit more about.

I am still interested in if you can post a picture showing the location of all sensors in the Mazda Millenia S 95 I appreciated babyhuey.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:08 PM

Yeap Keninn, my brother in law told me the same thing. So I am not going to Autozone for the codes. About the display, I was thinking that dealing with all those wires will be more difficult, so I think I can live without that display. The gas filtr, yeap, I was able to find it. I was looking the filter in the front, the last car I hab (Chevy Malibu 1984) had he filter close to the carburator jeje pretty old.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 PM

Hey cuyuni that is great news indeed.[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

If the CEL turned off by itself then yes the fuel trim levels must be back to an acceptable level. Let us hope it was just a one time glitch and using the injector cleaner helped in some way.
I will locate the picture of the sensor locations and post them up. I may have to take a digital pic of the shop manual pages or scan them as digital shop manuals for Mazda does not go back that far. Check back here and I will get them posted up for you.

Here are the pics. The first is the parts location with a number for each part. Second pic is identifying the number.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/BEEBF389E65C4520AD528B42D424A7A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/5C593A6846DC440581C09139F55B7178.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-16-2006, 10:39 PM

That did not work so will post again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/508A031E850D4A8FA198395F4BA3433C.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel trim bank 1/Shift solenoid A code errors.