Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Do I really need to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Default Do I really need to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump?

Greetings, I'm working on a 2001 or 2002 Millenia for a lady that works at my local lunchtime sandwich shop...you know the story...nice smile, great customer service, and at wits end over a car that won't start.

Anyway, I've traced the "no start" problem to a bad fuel pump (power at the pump but no pumping of the pump). My search of the archives turned up one tidbit that indicated the fuel tank may need to be dropped to replace the fuel pump. Is this really true? If it is, I'd love to hear from some of you that have been there and done that about your little tricks to make the process go smoothly. Keep in mind that her car is dead in a parking spot in her apartment complex and I don't have ready access to a lift.

I'm fully comfortable removing the fuel lines, electrical connector, and the ring that seals the pump in the tank...just went thru that to repair a sending unit on my 1999 Audi A4 project. My main concern is that the clearances look pretty tight in there to get the old pump out and the new one in.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Default RE: Do I really need to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump?

Yes. I have heard stories of people attempting to do this by removing the rear seat cushion, but you just can't get to it well enough. Besides, lowering the tank isn't as bad as it sounds.
1.) Jack the car up on jack stands.
2.) Drain as much fuel as possible (Use a siphon pump - $10 at Harbor freight)
3.) Remove the rear sear cusion and disconnect the fuel line
4.) Disconnect all lines going to the tank
5.) Disconnect the fuel filler hose
6.) place a jack right under the tank
7.) Undo the straps
8.) Lower the tank

Takes about 30 minutes if you know where everything is and how it comes off. Figure an hour if you have never done it before. Definitely drain the tank. 10-15 gallons of gasoline is pretty heavy and makes it much more difficult to work with while lowering, maneuvering, and raising. I would rather do this than replace an alternator on this car any day.