Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Codes - Engine light - Hold light - TCS light

Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Default Codes - Engine light - Hold light - TCS light

I have a Mazda Millenia 1995 2.3 S that I have a few questions on.
[ul][*]Where is a good site, location I can get codes to communicate to the cars' engine via shop computer?[*]My "Hold Light" continually blinks. How would I go about remeding this annoyance?[*]At highway speeds, the TCS light pops on in the dash panel. I cannot press the TCS button below the shift **** to turn off this light. After a short while 1-5 mins, the car will start to stutter and I can't keep my RPM's up. When I shift to neutral and restart the car (off to on), the problem goes away - for a while. Does this have something to do with the engine mechanically or something to do with the gearing or possibly a suspension problem such as a bad ball joint?[*]One other thing. Just above the rear three spark plugs there are 4 pairs of female to male plugins that happen to be orange and yellow in color. What are these plugs to and what happens if you mix them up? Both yellow plugs have same shape as one another ... as well as the orange plugs. So you can't mix the yellow with the orange plugs.[/ul]
Thanks much!

Old 09-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Default RE: Codes - Engine light - Hold light - TCS light

Ouch. This can be a real easy one or a real PITA to fix. The ABS and TCS are intertwined. The ABS control unit encorporates the TCS circuit. Things to check are the vacuum T under the passenger side removable intake runner toward the firewall for breakage. This is the most common cause. It is easy to get to. There is a relay on the ABS pump that also fails. The control unit under the left side dash also fails sometimes. I hope yours is a simple fix as i have seen some real cash output on that problem. You can go to Autozone to get the codes checked but i do not think they can check with their scanner. I think you will need an ABS tester but i could be wrong.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 PM

May be your EGR boost valve as well. Here's an interesting article.
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2001/techtips.htm
Just a thought. I had a similar problem except my car would actually die instead of stutter.
I just removed the thing and dealt with the lights being on. We don't have inspections in Indiana.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:58 AM

Thanks For the info guys!

I just got my car back from getting basically most of the front end suspension replaced (ie - tie rod, ball joint lower, middle ball joint, cross links, etc).

In addition to what I stated earlier with the hold light and tcs light. The Hold light is now off. The bad news is that the TCS OFF light comes on quite often and it seems to be that my car just doesn't go into overdrive and in fact actually will seem to get jerky and then seem to lose power to the engine-drive train. Would this have something to do with the clutch solenoid? or would this have more to do with multiple sensors messing with the computer - which in fact would affect driving.

Again, thank-you Also - I have heard that you have to occasionally clean off contact points to the metal leads that lead to the sensors to prevent false or no readings.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Check out the posts on the millenia forum and get the vacuum diagram. The color one is less confusing. You'll see a series of 4 little vacuum line solenoids in the rear of the engine at the top.
Your symptoms sound exactly like what I was experiencing, and just replace all the hoses to the ABV Vent solenoid. Should be code 1526 if you can take it to autozone and check it.
Hose size that worked for me is 5/32. Probably should take a 7/32 size lumen but the vac hoses you buy at autozone or advance auto are too thick-walled and they won't all fit next to each other on the solenoid. make sure you replace the vac hoses all the way to the engine, past any plastic Ts. The hose that was the culprit for me was the section between the T and the vacuum port under the air intake.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:21 AM

Well, I'm in the process of replacing my vacuum lines. Yea. It's a stinker. So far no changes in how the car runs, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Did you say you "by-pass" the plastic T's? How is this possible? Anyway, Thanks Everyone for responding to this thread. Oh yea.The cold air intake that leads to the cast aluminum piping (forgive me for not naming what it is) atop the engine - is that supposed to have oil residue inside that area? I have a bad feeling that it's not supposed to have oil in it.

*sigh*

Thanks - Razdude.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Depending on how much oil it is normal to have oil in the intercooler and piping.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 PM

i also have a 95 but mine is not the S, and i am having the same problems. Shedies when the TCS off light comes on. if i keep the gas on when at idle then it seems to help keep running. did you replace the vacuum hoses? did that help? i dont know how to stop this... should i replace the O2 sensor? i wonder if this is a common problem with the 95?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 AM

Hey suzukigurl81 ....

I'm still working on the vacuum hoses. I had to stop mainly because my 7/32 hose wouldn't fit all the fittings. I now have 5/32 hose to help complete that once I get some time to do so. About the O2 sensors, I've been told that since aluminum contact points oxidize, that I should clean these coontact points between the sensors and the aluminum points. This perhaps will solve some problems. I'm going the cheap route rather than jumping right into purchasing sensors that I may or may not need. I'd have to clean these points if I were to replace the sensors anyway. I'm still learning about my car.

Good news is that I bought another Millenia. Needs lots of work, but I figure I'll learn lots from taking the engine apart. It either needs some new gaskets or it has a cracked block - since there's coolant in the oil. This may just be the start of my Milly fleet. Better save me from myself.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Razdude.

PS. Anyone know of anyone with a motor that will fit a Milly? Also - anyone have a Jetta for sale or one that is in good shape but with no motor? That's my other car - 1987 VW Jetta.