Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Aftermarket stereo w/ the Bose system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Default Aftermarket stereo w/ the Bose system?

I just bought this stereo for my '98 Millenia S w/ Bose system. The stereo powers up and functions, but no sound comes out of the speakers. I've read it's because of the amp(s).

So my question is, what do I need to do to fix this?

Eventually I'll be replacing all speakers, but I don't want to have to run new wire--can I just use the existing wire?

Is there a way to fix this temporarily without having to replace the speakers?

Also, my friend is giving me his old amp and sub, so this comes into play as well.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Default RE: Aftermarket stereo w/ the Bose system?

this is what you do go buy a roll of decent size speaker wire and pop the trunk look behind the carpet on the back wall you willl find your factory amp
unplugg the harness on the right and run four strands of speaker wire to the harness straightfrom the back of the radio to the harness strip slightly enough
to connect the wires you need do not cut the harness
left front +yellow -blue
right front +pink -violet
left rear +green -green/yellow
right rear +green/black-green/orange

Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 AM

i have pretty much the same problem i took off my factorybose stereo so i could add my new kenwood cd reciver and15 in kicker l7 with 1000 wat sound stream amp but when i tried to hook up my recivier there was no sound what do i do to make my 6by9 and front speakers to work i drive a 1995 2.3 super charged millenia

Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Hey lucky, I ended up bypassing the amp and replacing the speakers. I still haven't found a clear answer on how to keep the Bose speakers with an aftermarket unit.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Default Radio & 6CD work, but NO SOUND!

Problem: Radio AM, FM, Ant., & 6CD work, but NO SOUND!

This seems to be a very common problem. There must be a common component in the Bose system that fails? Does anyone know what it typically is?

The Bose system is great when it is working, and I'd rather not go to all the trouble & expense of rewiring everything and replacing the radio & speakers with after-market.

I'd rather just replace the failed Bose component, if feasible, but I have no clue what it is or how to find it. Has anyone else discovered what it is that typically fails in the Bose system?..... radio, speaker amp, main amp, or ????

FYI: I have checked all fuses, all speaker/amp connections, and tried replacing the radio with a known good used OEM Boase radio...... NO HELP.

I guess the problem has to be an amp? My understanding is that each speaker has its own amp (attached to the bottom of the speaker) and that there is at least one main amp. Is this correct?

What appears to be the main amp I found attached to the rear seat frame, behind the carpet in the trunk. Is this the ONLY main amp?

If one speaker or its amp goes out, will the other speakers still play?

I know this is a lot of questions, but this Bose system is nearly impossible to get a handle on. Thanks for any help.