Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2002 Milly S Oil Leak somewhere above Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Default 2002 Milly S Oil Leak somewhere above Oil Filter

Hi,
anyone have advice for solving oil leak issue. It is a small drip every other day or so. The drip ultimately drips from the end of the oil filter. The filter is not loose. It looks like there is a hard line coming into the filter holder and a rubber line. The hard line is part of the filter holder device and the rubber hose uses a hose clamp. I was thinking it could be the clamp but really it just doesn't seem to be coming from that hose end.
Okay...thats it...thanks in advance for the help.

KenInn...you mentioned a tranny oil a long time ago on a post. I am going to change our tranny oil and wanted to know what is recommended.
Thanks.
J.

PS still looking for a 2002 factory service manual online. Can't believe I let one get away a couple years ago for about $50. My loss.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Default Keninn: regarding a post from a while back

Originally Posted by JJohnsonAZ
Hi,
anyone have advice for solving oil leak issue. It is a small drip every other day or so. The drip ultimately drips from the end of the oil filter. The filter is not loose. It looks like there is a hard line coming into the filter holder and a rubber line. The hard line is part of the filter holder device and the rubber hose uses a hose clamp. I was thinking it could be the clamp but really it just doesn't seem to be coming from that hose end.
Okay...thats it...thanks in advance for the help.

KenInn...you mentioned a tranny oil a long time ago on a post. I am going to change our tranny oil and wanted to know what is recommended.
Thanks.
J.

PS still looking for a 2002 factory service manual online. Can't believe I let one get away a couple years ago for about $50. My loss.
Keninn...I found a post where you mentioned a oil switch seal that can leak near the filter. Could you offer a bit more detail on the location and fix? Not syaing that is the problem but I will look for it. I do not have a repair manual so I've been relying on posts (eg: vacuum diagram was terrific).
Thanks for your help.
J.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:40 PM

most probable is the oil pressure switch. it is on the oil filter head(the part the filter screws on to) and is quite common for this switch to leak. most parts stores carry this switch, it is easily accessible from underneath. dunno about a 2.5, but on a 2.3 it is a pain to get at it from up top. a LOT of stuff has to come off to get clearance.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Thanks Keninn...I will lift her and take a closer look with the filter removed.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks Keninn...I will lift her and take a closer look with the filter removed.
on a 2.3 you can see it from up top, just cant get to it. there will be a single wire coming off it. get a can of brake cleaner and spray that area well.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Default follow up to oil leak

Okay, Keninn you got me headed in the right direction.
The leak was from the "O" ring in the oil cooler. It would have been a very very simple fix but...I didn't know what I was doing so I removed not only the oil filter adapter, but the entire unit from the block (3 hard to reach bolts). That required an additional hour to remove the gasket that was stuck on the block, and then tracking down the seal and gasket. Tucson is too small and our local Mazda dealership is a joke. I ended up driving to Phx. today to pick up the in-stock parts from Berge Mazda...great folks there.
It is back together and the new juices go in tomorrow am...hopefully no leaks.
Thanks Keninn again for your assistance. I now know where the oil pressure switch is and what it will take to change that if it starts leaking. I most probably should've changed that while I had it out but it was perfectly dry. Oh well...learn as I go but a lot cheaper than taking it in.
Later.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Where exactly is that located and how to get to it? My 01 is doing the same thing. Looks like it's leaking from the oil filter and I know that's not loose whatsoever. I have the 2.3. Very, very slow leak. If I can get this info that'd be awesome, then maybe I can fix mine too!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ZoomZoom81
Where exactly is that located and how to get to it? My 01 is doing the same thing. Looks like it's leaking from the oil filter and I know that's not loose whatsoever. I have the 2.3. Very, very slow leak. If I can get this info that'd be awesome, then maybe I can fix mine too!

you can see it from up top, but you gotta know where to look. i have a couple of really bright bendalites, and they work great. to get at it from up top, you have to pull the front intercooler, the passenger side core support garnish, disconnect the overflow line from the coolant resevoir and plug it up, and remove the passenger side radiator fan. then, you need a special socket. it is the same socket that is used for the knock sensor, no other socket will work. some have taken a deep socket and pounded it on there, but there isnt much clearance, and if you are not careful, you will hit the radiator core. if you buy and aftermarket replacement switch, you will then need another socket to install it, but you can get that socket at any parts store. i prefer to go from up top, unless i have a lift.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 AM

i have the 96 millineum s. going on 2 years. love this car but that oil leak coming off the filter is what ive been chasing for about a year.im positive its not the oil filter or sending unit.my oil cooler line started leaking so i thought it was softning up old oil and making it look like oil.i cleaned it all good and still have that annoying little leak.how do you get the oil cooler housing off to change the o ring?that HAS to be it.im new here and this forum has saved me big money.thanks all.hope some of my findings will help someone as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Okay, Keninn you got me headed in the right direction.
The leak was from the "O" ring in the oil cooler. It would have been a very very simple fix but...I didn't know what I was doing so I removed not only the oil filter adapter, but the entire unit from the block (3 hard to reach bolts). That required an additional hour to remove the gasket that was stuck on the block, and then tracking down the seal and gasket. Tucson is too small and our local Mazda dealership is a joke. I ended up driving to Phx. today to pick up the in-stock parts from Berge Mazda...great folks there.
It is back together and the new juices go in tomorrow am...hopefully no leaks.
Thanks Keninn again for your assistance. I now know where the oil pressure switch is and what it will take to change that if it starts leaking. I most probably should've changed that while I had it out but it was perfectly dry. Oh well...learn as I go but a lot cheaper than taking it in.
Later.

I have that same problem with the oil leaking, Im going to look into that. I also live in tucson, still dont know why Im still living here lol

Quick Reply: 2002 Milly S Oil Leak somewhere above Oil Filter