Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2002 Milly S KJ odd Boost behavior; 0-2 boost until 3K RPM at temperature

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Default 2002 Milly S KJ odd Boost behavior; 0-2 boost until 3K RPM at temperature

Hello Milly owners.

Is there an online Knowledge base for the Millennia S that specifies certain functions for the Millenia S?

I've used milleniatech.net and it's got a good bit of data, but I'm looking for more along the lines of component/function:

• Fuel line pressure specification (280-330kPa or 41-48psi) with the ignition switch on, and should increase when throttle is depressed. But by how much?
  • Metered Air Control codes from P1508 through P1540 What are the functions of them?
    1. P1508 - Bypass air solenoid valve #1 Does what?
    2. P1509 - Bypass air solenoid valve #2 Does what?
    3. P1524 - Charged-air cooler (CAC) bypass solenoid valve circuit Does what?
    4. P1525 - Lysholm air bypass valve (ABV) vacuum solenoid circuit Does what?-actuates the air bypass valve, but based on what range of info?
    5. P1526 - Lysholm air bypass valve (ABV) vent solenoid circuit Does what?- vents vacuum from the diaphram chamber of the ABV actuator probably?
    6. P1529 - Lysholm atmospheric balance air control solenoid valve circuit Does what?
    7. P1540 - Lysholm air bypass valve (ABV) control system Does what?
  • Which metric is used to control boost applied to the engine at certain RPM?
  • Which metric is used to control Boost cut between shifts?
  • What is the function of the MAP Sensor solenoid Valve that's inline at the MAP sensor?

I'm trying to diagnose my second Milly S, a 2002 that doesn't apply boost until after 3000RPM. So it is a little annoying when driving up a hill and it just bogs down until it downshifts and then there's nothing until 3K when all of a sudden 12-14PSI!

I installed a boost gauge inline between the PRC and the MAP Sensor solenoid valve so I am measuring actual Manifold pressure. This is a consistent behavior over various driving styles and RPMs.

I've had everything off the top of the motor down to the VCG, I am 100% sure the vac lines are correct ( using this diagram )

I am sure the catalytic converters are not clogged, as I drove around with open headers just to be sure (rather loud little 2.3L KJ )

So I'm led to believe it is either a lazy solenoid or a bad diaphragm on a control valve.... but I need to find information on what control components do, and why the do what they do.

I did find this video on Youtube:

It indicates some interesting info, as there is no fault tracked in the ECU for this bypass if it malfunctions. I'm fairly certain it is the car actually reducing or cutting the boost actively, and that's what I can't figure out.

At first start up, before the car reaches normal operating temperature there is no indications/symptoms of this behavior. As in, I start the car right up, normal idle. It shifts normally, and boost is manageable through throttle input and I can see it through the gauge modulating based on throttle input while in gear. With aggressive throttle input the transmission kicks down and full boost is attained, while with moderate throttle input the gearing doesn't step down but boost is still maintained around 5psi @ partial throttle and can be increased with more throttle input (before tripping the transmission for a kickdown.

HOWEVER, once temp is reached (dead center on the temp indication) then car changes. With that same moderate throttle input the car returns that initial kick of boost to 5+psi but immediately the boost reduces to around 1psi. And normal cruising does not return any boost unless the car is going fast enough to match RPMs at 2900-3000 with moderate throttle input. It's somewhere in between 2800-3000 rpm where the boost immediately returns to normal 12-14psi and the car surges with power. With aggressive throttle input the normal boost levels are there, as long as the kick down matches rpms at 3000+.

I'm 100% convinced something is going on electronically and that is why I was hoping for a guru to drop in and casually respond "yeah, the (X) sensor looks for the (Y) reading to be at (Q) or it initiates limp mode and reduces boost to 0psi until above 3000RPM. You need to replace the (X) sensor.

Utilizing the information from that Youtube video I disconnected and plugged the vac line to that center butterfly, but it literally had no effect on the driving characteristics of the car, other than eliminating the boost cut between shifts, which is probably a courtesy/driveability/luxobarge thing to keep the S from banging off hard shifts at WOT.

I don't want to throw parts at the car I'm into diagnosing the fault. But I would like some input from fellow Milly owners who may have experienced the same thing.

FWIW it is NOT the 1540 code. It had it when I bought the car but I replaced that solenoid and the code has not returned. The TCS Lights DO NOT ILLUMINATE. The car operates throughout the RPM band with no RPM cut.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails 2002 Milly S KJ odd Boost behavior; 0-2 boost until 3K RPM at temperature-wp_20140818_18_47_22_pro.jpg