Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Help me justify a miata

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Default Help me justify a miata

I test drove a 2016 Miata yesterday and I'm amazed. I thought my mini was fun but the Miata puts the mini to shame. The Miata is in budget but I can't justify it as a second car. It has to be my only car... I love small cars but the Miata is crazy small.
Anyone have Miata as an only car?

It's just me and my dog right now. Issues I'm seeing: Costco and Home Depot runs... Road trips to see my parents and brother (CT to NJ). Dog and luggage would be a super tight fit. Also dog is normally a back seat rider not sure how passenger seat would work out.
If all goes well I may get my 72 bug on the road next summer but that won't be a good road trip car. And would be a funny grocery getter.

A 3 hatch would be much more sensible. Is it crazier to get a car that only fills 95% of your auto needs or get a less fun car just to meet the extra 5%?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 PM

Really over 100 views and nobody can say something like "miatas aren't that bad as daily drivers" or "you really need a 2nd car with a Miata"

Old 12-17-2015, 06:20 PM

Just do it. OR, wait until you're to old and your walker won't fit.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:07 PM

I'm not gonna lie. If I didn't have a baby to put in the back seat, I would have gotten a Miata. But I went with a 4-door 3 iT. The Manual gear box is nice, and for a front wheel drive, it handles pretty good ( not like an Acura Integra good, but better than most ).

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by lorddoomicus
I'm not gonna lie. If I didn't have a baby to put in the back seat, I would have gotten a Miata. But I went with a 4-door 3 iT. The Manual gear box is nice, and for a front wheel drive, it handles pretty good ( not like an Acura Integra good, but better than most ).
My wife and I are relatively new at being "Empty Nesters"; our son in the Navy is on his second Miata (currently driving a very nice 1997 M Edition Miata), our daughter is in college and doesn't need a car. So, I recently bought an old minivan to do our people hauler duties; my wife has a factory order in on a 2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring (6-Speed Manual), and probably next spring I'll pick up a new 2017 Miata. My only conundrum is whether I want a conventional rag top or if I want the trick new power hardtop.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:41 PM

Power Retractable Hardtop shipo, so much easier for us, yeah I'll say it, mature drivers. Fun of a convertible, security of a hardtop.

As for your question Hank, it's got to be your choice. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle, trips, etc. then go with the 3. I have 2 customers that drive Miata's year round. One is a nurse and she puts on the miles. She traded the rag top in ( 145,000 ) for a power hard top. There is no question the Miata will be a good car, but if it doesn't fit what your going to use it for, you'll just be unhappy with it.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hankscorpio
I test drove a 2016 Miata yesterday and I'm amazed. I thought my mini was fun but the Miata puts the mini to shame. The Miata is in budget but I can't justify it as a second car. It has to be my only car... I love small cars but the Miata is crazy small.

It's just me and my dog right now. Issues I'm seeing: Costco and Home Depot runs... Road trips to see my parents and brother (CT to NJ). Dog and luggage would be a super tight fit. Also dog is normally a back seat rider not sure how passenger seat would work out.
If all goes well I may get my 72 bug on the road next summer but that won't be a good road trip car. And would be a funny grocery getter.

A 3 hatch would be much more sensible. Is it crazier to get a car that only fills 95% of your auto needs or get a less fun car just to meet the extra 5%?

Here is an answer for your most important consideration.

It is not safe for a pet to be in the front seat unless it is in a seat belt secured cage, and even then, It can be seriously injured without padding.

Your choice but I would not risk it with my four legged friends. They trust us and unconditionally love us.

Are you looking out for its best interest?

As you can tell, I love animals and they really do depend on us to do the right thing.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:10 AM

Mazda Mk1 MX-5 I think is one of the best. I am searching to buy one. I read about this car here:

Mazda MX-5 Mk1 (Miata) ? 5 Things you didn?t know about the most popular roadster

ps: I hope isn't a problem if I posted this link

Old 06-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by EvaSteel
Mazda Mk1 MX-5 I think is one of the best. I am searching to buy one. I read about this car here:

Mazda MX-5 Mk1 (Miata) ? 5 Things you didn?t know about the most popular roadster

ps: I hope isn't a problem if I posted this link
That link is almost 20 years old and totally out of date

Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hankscorpio

Hello,

I just got a Miata (not a new one) for the first time in my 50+ years. Back seats are for children. Your dog can ride shotgun (the window down a smidge to let doggy smell the world outside). If you're really worried about Costco, 2 options: remove the spare for the trip (suddenly a LOT more cargo space) or get a trailer hitch and a hitch shelf if you buy that much.

The road trips alone will be worth it.

Quick Reply: Help me justify a miata