Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Airbag light

I'm a 92miata owner and I'm havingthe same problem the rest of you are having...flashing air bag light. I just had a new catalytic converter put on and it started to flash on the way home....What I would also like to know...is it harmful to drive it with the light flashing? I have been driving it, but have a case of the jitters....Can anyone answer this for me?
Jean

Old 05-04-2007, 09:53 PM

It is not harmful jaold. Just means that the control module has detected a malfunction in some part of the system and is flashing the light to let you know. Air bag system is disabled when a malfunction is found and light is flashing so should not just go off on you for no reason if that is what you mean.
What is the flashing pattern. ie How many times does it flash before pausing and then repeating? This is the code ouput for what is wrong.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Do you have any suggestions on what to do next? When you say switch, do you mean where you put the key? Does that need to be replaced? Thank you

Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 PM

If the off light is never coming on even as a check light when first starting the engine and even when key switch is turned to "off'" and engine started then the switch is either faulty or the bulb is burnt out. Either way the switch that you turn with you key needs to be replaced as even the bulb is not replaceable. I think you will find that the system will operating normally after this replacement. One thing you might check before just replacing is to make sure that the electrical connector for the switch is even plugged in. Very remote possibility that it could have become disconnected by itself or perhaps was left disconnected by accident when someone was in that area of the dash making a repair or doing something to the radio. Would not hurt to at least explore that possibility before just replacing.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 AM

I just purchased a 92 miata (my first) and am having the same problem with the airbag light. It is flashing 10 times in a row, which I know indicates a "fuse blown" with the control module. In one of the postings, babyhuey stated, "Silverr's 92 has a fuse inside that when blows sets that code for system down fuse burned." Is this fuse located inside the module itself or...? I checked the fuses in the engine compartment and inside by the driver's footwell. All 3 of these fuses checked out OK. If there is a 4th fuse located inside the module and if so, how difficult is it to replace? Assuming this is the problem, will replacing this fuse make the airbag operational or is there something I need to do to reset it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Light flashing ten times and then repeating over and over is an indication of "system down" fuse burned. This fuse is located inside the air bag diagnostic/control module and is not replaceable. It is actually soldered right into the circuit board of the module. A replacement module is really the only way to get the system working normally again. Dealer retail fornew module is $170.50. Same part is available from www.onlinemazdaparts.com for $136.40. OE part number is na01-67-7f0a.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:31 PM

Thanks BHuey,
If I replace the module, is it a simple plug and play or do I need to reset something in order for the car to recognize the new module? Also, I saw you mentioned earlier that a "D-Sensor" could be shorted which may have caused the problem in the 1st place. How do I check these to make sure they are operating properly? I don't want to buy a new module only to have it burn out on me again. Any other issues that could have caused the fuse to burn out?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:23 PM

The air bag module is a plug and play module Red92. The air bag light will come on solid after module replace but simply turning key back off and then restarting should initialize everything. The only thing that can cause the fuse to burn is either a shorted out D-sensor or wiring to one of the D-sensors shorted to ground. Checking for this is a matter disconnecting the battyer, air bag diagnostic module and drivers air bag in the steering wheel (This step is to keep from accidentily deploying the air bag during the checks). Once all three are disconnecting it is just a matter of using an digital ohm meter and checking continuity of three wires at the diagnostic module. Do you have access to a digital ohm meter??

Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM

I have a 91 Miata. The airbag light blinks 6 times, which indicated "Faulty air bag modules or poor connection of clock spring connector" accoring blink codes. Where is the clock spring connector?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 PM

I have a '94 Miata and my air bag light flashes 5-1 The 51 code I beleive says that the System Down fuse is Open. Does this mean I have to replace the Air Bag Module as state in the response to Red92?[8D]

Quick Reply: Airbag light