Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

90 miata clutch problems HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Default 90 miata clutch problems HELP!!!!

i am the proud owner of a 1990 miata.....a few days ago, i was driving on the freeway then went to get off at an exit and came to a complete stop the clutch pedal suddenly felt as if it were not there any more(no pressure on pedal)....by pressing the clutch, i could start the car but not engage it in gear....i drove it home without using the clutch and had to get it in 1st by shutting the car off then engaging the gear and starting the car also flooring the gas......i parked it in the garage and started removing the transmission thinking that the clutch just needed to be replaced....no, the clutch in it in fact was in really good shape and the pressure plate was also......after that, i put everything back together and checked the slave cylinder....it is doing its job by adding push on the clutch release lever......i have bled the hydraulic lines and filled the master cylinder resovior to the top thinking that this would be the end of this nightmare...no...if anybody has any other tips or knows of any other procedure that i have not tried as explained in this thread, i would gladly appreciate them.....as any last resorts, i will try any suggestions outside of what i have already done....thanks for the help of getting me closer to riding with the top down soon....if i cant get anything to work, i will be forced to take it to mazda and pay 1000 times what the actual labor is worth and then also pay for parts at a 100% markup.....thanks!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Default RE: 90 miata clutch problems HELP!!!!

My son has a 2000 mazda miata with a 6 speed tranny. One day while he was out he cdalled to let me know something happened to his clutch. Same problem as yours. I had it taken to Mazda where they diangnosed the problem with a failed part in the hydralic clutch. Can't remember which part it was. Cost was $600.00. I am not an mechanic so had no choice. Try doing a search on the Mazda forum. when I was typing this response I saw related threads:

Thread
Forum
Posted

Hydralic Clutch problems 1993 Miata
New Member Area
5/14/2007
by HWPELT

99 Miata Problems - Help!
Mazda Miata
5/2/2007
by hanichj

Clutch problems
Mazda Pickup Trucks
2/3/2007
by Roamer007

Clutch problems or not?
Mazda Protege
10/20/2006
by mazlx20

2001 Mazda Miata starting problems
Mazda Miata
4/16/2006
by freeflyur2

1994 Miataignition switch and airbag light problems
Mazda Miata
4/14/2006
by condor

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Default RE: 90 miata clutch problems HELP!!!!

I'll probably get flamed for this advice, but oh well- try www.miata.net that is the best miata specific website out there. They have a forum covering repair issues. Good luck.
shad

Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Wink clutch trouble!

My 91 miata had clutch trouble three times. First it was the slave cyl., so i replaced it and also the clutch master cyl. Second the rubber line to the slave cyl. blew out, over time the rubber lines wear out from the inside out, i replaced it with a hard line that my son had got for his 96 miata. I just took my transmission out today, the car would not shift, it would go forward if the shifter was in the neutral position, the trouble is the pressure plate is bad.
My miata has over 260,000 miles on it, i will never get ride of it. You can check the fluid in the master cyl., if the fluid is black it means your rubber line is melting from the inside.
When i took the pressure plate out, the forks did not move, they are suppose to release.
I have a 1990 & 1991 miata, both are "surf blue" the 90 needs a 1.6 motor, my son has found a motor & trans with low miles on them, we plan on getting both running this weekend .
Can't wait to go top down.
Hope this helps someone.