Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Default RE: Airbag light

Babyhuey--Aloha, I have a 1992 with the same problem of flashing Air Bag light (10x). Per the manual, I disconnected the sensors and checked each to have 1200 ohms. they did. Then I checked the black and grey plugs to the diagnostic module and they also showed 1200 ohms. So the next step is to replace the module. Seems easy enough. But I am concerned as Red 92 was to make sure that the diagnostic module that I buy doesn't just burn another fuse... you stated *****"The only thing that can cause the fuse to burn is either a shorted out D-sensor or wiring to one of the D-sensors shorted to ground. Checking for this is a matter disconnecting the battyer, air bag diagnostic module and drivers air bag in the steering wheel (This step is to keep from accidentily deploying the air bag during the checks). Once all three are disconnecting it is just a matter of using an digital ohm meter and checking continuity of three wires at the diagnostic module. Do you have access to a digital ohm meter??"*****What do i check with the ohm meter to see if the D-sensor or wiring to the D-sensors is shorted? Or is that what I have already accomplished? What is the difference b/w a D-sensor and an S-Sensor?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Default air bag sensor

Originally Posted by tomcat38
I have a '94 Miata and my air bag light flashes 5-1 The 51 code I beleive says that the System Down fuse is Open. Does this mean I have to replace the Air Bag Module as state in the response to Red92?[8D]
I have a '94 as well with the same air bag code. Did you ever receive a response to remedy the problem and if so, what? Thanks in advance.

Dancingeman

Old 07-11-2016, 09:23 PM

I'm at my wits' end, and I'm hoping somebody here can help with my 96 Miata.
I have a '96 Miata with an airbag light that won't go off. About 20 seconds after I turn the car on, the airbag light comes on and stays illuminated. I'd be fine just driving it this way, but it comes up for inspection soon and it won't pass inspection unless I can get the light to go off. I may sell it some day, so just removing the bulb isn't an option. I spoke with the dealership, who told me it's a faulty control module. The local dealership and several others all told me the same story: you just can't get the control modules any more. Mazda doesn't make them, and nobody has new ones in stock. I've bought two used ones online from sellers who claim that they worked fine. I had my mechanic swap those used ones out (since I don't have faith that if I disassembled the entire dash to get to the unit, I'd be able to put things back together correctly). The used ones didn't solve the problem. Of course, there some chance that both used units I bought were bad, but it seems unlikely that BOTH would be bad. My very experienced mechanic is stumped, and I'm stumped. Has anybody else had experience with this, where the airbag light stays on continuously? Is there something besides the control unit we should be looking at? Should I trust AirbagSystems.com to rebuild one of my control units? Their website claims they can rebuild the control unit for $50 and even sell me an airbag simulator for $29 to help with diagnostics. I'm willing to try just about anything, because if I can't resolve the issue I'm left with a very expensive Mazda paperweight. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance or advice you could provide!

Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 AM
Thumbs up Airbag light

I decided to try it as my 24-year old Miata was experiencing the dreaded Miata “Flashing Airbag Light”! ​​​​​​​After searching and searching about what makes my airbag light blink 5 times, then escalate to 10 times, I came to this solution to shut it down without ANY audible alarms or having to pull the bulb. At least until I can get the diagnostic module repaired or replaced. I was about to just cut the wire going to the bulb, I had to get the car inspected and this flashing light would make it fail! I know it’s due to leaky capacitors on the circuit board (this is a common and incredibly annoying issue with lots of older circuits in numerous devices). Anyway, I was at the point where I was ready to just dismantle my dashboard to get behind the instrument cluster and BLACK out the bulb that illuminates this warning or cut the wires..…but this simple trick worked great and was really easy to do!

All you have to do is remove the rectangular "kick panel" right under your steering column - it's just 2 phillips screws. You then have good access to all the under dash electrical connections and components. It’s pretty cramped quarters, I put a pillow on the door sill and laid on my back to see up under the dash. You will see a gray connector goes into the blue airbag diagnostic module right over the steering column; The module has 2 plastic blades that go into the connector, keeping the circuit to the bulb open….once the connector is pulled out, the circuit gets closed and the airbag light comes on solid to alert that there is a problem with the system/connection. If you remove the bulb, you will then get a MORE annoying buzzer sound!

So disconnect the gray socket from the blue airbag diagnostic module….get a medium sized zip tie, cut it to about 6 inches and insert it into both holes of the connector (by looping it) where the earlier mentioned plastic blades would be…and eureka! No airbag light, no audible tone, no blinking, and best of all, no airbag in my face!

I’ve attached pictures and I hope this helps explain this relatively EASY fix….

Attached Thumbnails  Airbag light-miata-airbag-flashing-light-trick%2A.jpg    Airbag light-miata-airbag-flashing-light-trick.jpg  
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM

I'm at my wits' end, and I'm hoping somebody here can help with my 96 Miata. I have a '96 Miata with an airbag light that won't go off. About 20 seconds after I turn the car on, the airbag light comes on and stays illuminated. I'd be fine just driving it this way, but it comes up for inspection soon and it won't pass inspection unless I can get the light to go off. I may sell it some day, so just removing the bulb isn't an option. I spoke with the dealership, who told me it's a faulty control module. The local dealership and several others all told me the same story: you just can't get the control modules any more. Mazda doesn't make them, and nobody has new ones in stock. I've bought two used ones online from sellers who claim that they worked fine. I had my mechanic swap those used ones out (since I don't have faith that if I disassembled the entire dash to get to the unit, I'd be able to put things back together correctly). The used ones didn't solve the problem. Of course, there some chance that both used units I bought were bad, but it seems unlikely that BOTH would be bad. My very experienced mechanic is stumped, and I'm stumped. Has anybody else had experience with this, where the airbag light stays on continuously? Is there something besides the control unit we should be looking at? Should I trust AirbagSystems.com to rebuild one of my control units? Their website claims they can rebuild the control unit for $50 and even sell me an airbag simulator for $29 to help with diagnostics. I'm willing to try just about anything, because if I can't resolve the issue I'm left with a very expensive Mazda paperweight. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance or advice you could provide!

I'm not sure if the engineering had changed from my '93 to your '96 but I would suggest just trying my fix which is illustrated in this thread. It's easy and cheap, although it doesn't leave you with a functional airbag....but the way I see it is, I'm 65 and have been driving for almost five decades with not a single accident. The risk for me not having a functional airbag in a car I only drive in the summer is negligible. Please let us all know though if you have success with that rebuilt unit if you do indeed decide to go that way....we'd all like to know for sure. Hope you're able to get it rectified, the reason I did mine was because it wouldn't pass inspection with a flashing Airbag light. GOOD LUCK!!!