Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Adding Power without Losing MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Default Adding Power without Losing MPG?

was curious if anyone have tips about adding power to a gen3 MX-5 Miata without compromising the MPG? i know supper chargers, turbos, or company's like Monster Miata. but all that drastically reduces mpg. is there something like a power programmer or something?

Thanks in Advance, Alice

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Banned

Definitely start with cat back exhaust from Magnaflow.

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Magnaflow Performance Exhaust Stainless Steel Cat-Back Performance Exhaust System - 16668 - Marken Performance & Restoration Inc.

You also could get a cold air intake. Be careful when going through car washes, puddles.

AEM Induction Cold Air Induction System - 21-640P - Marken Performance & Restoration Inc.

AEM Induction Cold Air Induction System - 21-640C - Marken Performance & Restoration Inc.

I don't see a tuner, however, if you do find one, you will have to put in more expensive hi octane fuel as well.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 10-31-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: hi octane
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by GamerGirlAlice
was curious if anyone have tips about adding power to a gen3 MX-5 Miata without compromising the MPG? i know supper chargers, turbos, or company's like Monster Miata. but all that drastically reduces mpg. is there something like a power programmer or something?

Thanks in Advance, Alice
As long as you're not in boost with a turbo or supercharged engine, fuel mileage should be as good as, or better than, a stock vehicle. I say better than because usually the engine breathes better after installation of forced induction from the intake and exhaust system improvements. You can add intake and exhaust stuff without forced induction, which will allow the engine to operate more efficiently.
Two cases in point: I have a friend with a built '06 MX-5. it has a '2011 engine, is turbocharged and makes over 300 wheel horsepower, and he gets 26-28 mpg when he drives "normally" on the interstate. I have a Gen 2 (NB-1) 2000 Miata, with a supercharger and other improvements like a free-flow exhaust, and I can get better than 30 mpg on the interstate. My little 1.8 makes over 200 whp.