Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Troubleshooting Check Fuel Cap Warning Light

Old 02-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Default Troubleshooting Check Fuel Cap Warning Light

2010 cx-9 here. The Check Fuel Cap Warning Light comes on and stays on. I've tried tightening the cap several times and the problem continues (for four days now). There are no ODB2 codes, just the warning light. Can anyone suggest troubleshooting steps to fixing the problem (from lowest-cost/easiest to more difficult/expensive)? I'm guessing changing the fuel cap seal (or entire cap if seal-only not available) would be a starting point but I'm open to the expertise on this forum.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by cspowell
2010 cx-9 here. The Check Fuel Cap Warning Light comes on and stays on. I've tried tightening the cap several times and the problem continues (for four days now). There are no ODB2 codes, just the warning light. Can anyone suggest troubleshooting steps to fixing the problem (from lowest-cost/easiest to more difficult/expensive)? I'm guessing changing the fuel cap seal (or entire cap if seal-only not available) would be a starting point but I'm open to the expertise on this forum.
I have a 2007 CX-9 and just started seeing this same issue with the fuel cap warning light. No check engine light. Resetting the cap does not seem to help, but I will check the seal and look into replacing the cap. Does anyone have additional info on resolving this issue? Could it be a leak somewhere else, allowing vapours (hopefully not fuel) to be escape?

Thanks!