Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Throttle too sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Default Throttle too sensitive

I have a 2008 CX9 that is driving me crazy.

The throttle is so sensitive that it seems impossible to drive the car smoothly. At very small throttle openings (like when creeping into my garage) the engine accelerates by itself. Also, the car jumps when pulling away from a stop sign as if I were giving it alot more throttle than I am. Just seems to be overly sensitive.

You know the rest of the story....took it to the dealer and they "can't replicate the problem", blah, blah, blah...

Almost all new cars are "drive by wire" and the CX9 is as well. If there isn't a problem with by car then it seems like the engineers really missed the mark with the calibration.

Anyone else having this issue?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Default RE: Throttle too sensitive

Mine (2008 GT) does the same, but not as bad. But enough for me to know what you mean. Maybe one of the Mazda guys on this forum can answer for you.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM

That is weird... I have a FWD Sport and initially there is a low gear lag when I push on the accelerator pedal... in 2-6 gears everything is smooth as silk. I have not seen this issue yet..

SH

Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 PM

As someone who works on these things daily, I can tell you that we've driven more CX-9's than you likely ever will. As such, we're probably used to how each model generally behaves. Please don't take it the wrong way, but it might be an issue of perception. I've noticed with my old 98 protege that if I'm riding very slow (say in thick traffic) in 1st gear (it's a standard), it's very easy for me to un-smoothly twitch the pedal and lurch the car, but if i make the effort to very slowly apply, I can accelerate slowly but smoothly.

In terms of a CX-9, I've never really noticed a lurching when applying the throttle, but you might try letting the idling engine pull you into the garage. If it's not sufficient, try barely blipping the throttle. As soon as you apply it at all, let off again. If you can't seem to get any better behavior out of it, go in again, and ask to take a ride with one of the technicians. You drive first and demonstrate the problem. Then let them drive while you're riding with. Any good technician will give an honest shot at it, and dive headfirst into figuring out the problem if he/she can duplicate what you're describing. If it's any sort of normal operation, they can explain that too.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the response techie.

I have taken it to the dealer twice for this issue and demonstated the sudden acceleration at low RPM's for the technician. The tech explained the "lerching" as a locking torque converter engagement issue. With all due respect to the tech......that's the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. The issueseems to bewith the way the computer interprets the electrical signals originating at the throttle (that's my theory anyway).

In any case the issue remains - it feels like about 50% of the throttle body butterflyopening is taking place with 10% of the accelerator movement. I love the car, but its' very tedious to drive because of the hypersensitive throttle.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Russ, I'd still want to drive it to experience exactly what you're talking about. But understanding at least somewhat how torque converters work, I can understand why that tech might have that suspicion. Personally I haven't experienced anything severe like that from this model.

Oh how I wish you weren't as far away as California. You could pay me a visit heh.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:30 AM

My 2007 cx-7 has same problem. Mazda techie is no were close to diagnosing the problem.

This is electrical/computer problem and has nothing to do with throttle body.

Temporary fix:
1) Unplug the battery and turn on headlights and press horn for few times until all charge is drained. This will reset the computer. You r car will drive smoothly for at least a day.

2) open the fuse box in engine compartment and remove the wire harness for 30 seconds ( this harness has locking clip). You have atleast 1 day of smooth driving.

Mazda CX-7 is a joke. Mazda should buy back every CX-7 from owners.

I have changed timing chain
Head lights have yellow build up on inside.
I have changed 2 ac compressors
Oil cooler gasket leaks
​CD drive is shot.
Thermostat had to be changed as it known to get stuck in open position.

​​​​​​this car is so bad in snow that a mini Cooper will pass you on 5degree gradient incline while you are creeping.

CX-7 is a Automotive disaster or Another Ford car which keeps it legacy alive.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Try cleaning throttle body. Turn ignition on but don't start it use a stick or a partner to step on gas pedal than remove intake tube and use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner with a scruffy kind of cloth like a dish towel and clean the inside of throttle body and throttle plate be gentle not to move the throttle plate reinstall intake tube and test drive.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steffan Ramos
Try cleaning throttle body. Turn ignition on but don't start it use a stick or a partner to step on gas pedal than remove intake tube and use brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner with a scruffy kind of cloth like a dish towel and clean the inside of throttle body and throttle plate be gentle not to move the throttle plate reinstall intake tube and test drive.
Hi all, I joined forum specifically for advice on how to resolve this very same issue with my wife's 2010 2WD CX-7.

Has the OP (or anyone else) confirmed that cleaning the throttle body will help with this, or resolve it completely? I can usually drive her car in such a way that this doesn't bug me too much but unless I am diligent it happens to me, and my wife is ready to get rid of the car altogether just because of this. The Mazda dealer wants to investigate the tranny but that sounds like a license to dip into my wallet for no good reason.

Some other posts make mention of O2 sensor as a possible culprit but it has never thrown any codes or CEL, my guess was throttle position sensor but I was hoping the combined wisdom of this group might steer me in the right direction so I can spend my spare time with the top down in my new-to-me 2012 Miata instead of throwing wrenches and hurling expletives under the hood of this vehicle.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 03-30-2018, 01:31 PM

Has the problem always existed, or is it now worse?

If it has worsened, look at the simple things first. Are the linkages and pivots moving smoothly, or have they gotten gunked up with rust or dirt or old grease? Gas pedal move smoothly when pushed by hand (engine off)? As Steffan suggests in post #8 operate the throttle plate and watch how the throttle plate moves. Smoothly or start moving with a jerk, even a very small one. It could be dirt or wear.

Quick Reply: Throttle too sensitive