Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Dents and dings in roof rails of my CX9

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Default Dents and dings in roof rails of my CX9

I need help. My 2013 CX9 has what appear to be numerous dings and dents appearing in the roof rails of my new car, just above the side door glass areas on both sides. It started as one, but has transformed into somewhere between 14 and 20 of them. I have looked at other CX9's with miles on them and at least half of them have similar issues. Some are deep, some not. Some are obvious to the naked eye and some are more easily seen when in parking garages and under fluorescent light. Can you other CX9 owners look at your cars and see if you also have these same randomly occurring dings and dents and report back?

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Default side rail dents on Mazda cx5

I have a 2012 cx5 GT with small dent down both side rails the problem seems to be getting worse I have taken it back to Mazda and after listening to then asking all the stupid questions like could be from leaning on the car and they have never seen this before. I told then that I want a report done and sent to Mazda as I have read online that there is an issue and people are reporting them. Mazda needs to come clean about this. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Mazda.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by seafacat
I have a 2012 cx5 GT with small dent down both side rails the problem seems to be getting worse I have taken it back to Mazda and after listening to then asking all the stupid questions like could be from leaning on the car and they have never seen this before. I told then that I want a report done and sent to Mazda as I have read online that there is an issue and people are reporting them. Mazda needs to come clean about this. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Mazda.
I have seen several CX5's with the same situation. Mine started as one dent. I tried to get it fixed by a paintless dent guy but he said he couldn't fix it because he couldn't get tools underneath the dent. 6 months later I have a ton of them and they seem to be multiplying. Mazda says no fix. Ordinary wear and tear!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM

bump. Anyone else with a CX9 having this issue? Please chime in.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 PM

I was just shown this at the dealer yesterday. They said it must have been from berries falling from trees...lol. I told them the berry must have been made out of lead. I will be going to another dealer to address the problem cause this 1st. one couldn't fix my door locking problems. I will post my results from the other dealer.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Da Maz
I was just shown this at the dealer yesterday. They said it must have been from berries falling from trees...lol. I told them the berry must have been made out of lead. I will be going to another dealer to address the problem cause this 1st. one couldn't fix my door locking problems. I will post my results from the other dealer.
Please keep us posted. I want to know how Mazda is dealing with it in other places.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:08 PM

Darn it!! I never noticed this before but now I have the berry dropping spots on my 2015 CX9. Didn't see them on my 2008.

Resistive spotwelds are probably the culprit. The area where the dimples show up is likely where two sheets of metal are layered and joined by spotweld. At the time of the spotweld and when the car body is prepared for painting, the spotwelds (about the size of a dime) are smooth. Over time as the car body stresses and these areas want to pull apart, they don't pull apart at exactly the spotweld spot. It's kind of like putting a drop of glue between two sheets of paper then pulling the papers apart. The non-glued area moves but not the glued spot. Thus, the dimple. I suspect it's not so much a mfg defect as it is a design flaw.