Go Back   Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda CX-9
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Cool CX-9 - How to Soup Up?

I am thinking of buying a CX-9 (probably used with low mileage) but want something with more than 265 or so horsepower. How feasible would it be to soup it up, perhaps with a turbo charger, high performance exhaust system, new performance chip, etc. to get as extra 50 or so horsepower? I need a good handling car with a third row and also want more horsepower than the stock CX-9 comes with. Is this feasible or am I crazy?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 AM

You're crazy.

Just kidding. I had a CX-9 for four years - - just traded it in on a Mazda5 (also three rows). I wanted something smaller.

First off, I think the 2008-2011 CX-9 models are rated at 273HP.

Second, have you actually DRIVEN a CX-9? If you have and it doesn't meet your performance expectations, fine. If you haven't, I urge you to test drive a new CX-9 to see for yourself...you may be surprised.

If you find the performance is lacking, about your only realistic option is a used Acura MDX with 300 HP. The CX-9 is good for 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds, while a used MDX might break seven seconds. Otherwise, you're going to pay a LOT for appreciably better acceleration from an SUV/CUV with a third row of seats. One exception might be the new 2011 Dodge Durango with a Hemi engine. You might get a deal on one.

As far as turbocharging a CX-9, I would advise against it. First, there are no "kits" made for the CX-9 - - you'd be paying a premium for a custom installation. Second, you would void any drivetrain warranty remaining on the vehicle. Third, when you go to sell your CX-9, the typical family in the market for one will not be interested in having a modified, non-warranty engine.

Like I said, you're crazy (but I like your train of thought).
Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 AM

I am in the process of buying my wife a 2011 CX-9 Grand and when I test drove it had more than ample power for it's chassis. But for starters, you could always add a performance exhaust (cat-back Magnaflow, for example) and a K&N cold air intake to help things breath more freely.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 AM

Tags
060, 2011, 37, charger, chips, cx, cx9, extended, forum, hp, mazda, mdx, stock, turbo, warranty