Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2016 CX-9 brake pad/rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Default 2016 CX-9 brake pad/rotor replacement

Today, I dropped off my brand new 2016 CX-9 at the service center because right rear brake disc showed signs of deep grooves. My car has 900 miles on it.

Later, I got a call from the service rep and she told me that they found broken brake pad and some metal from brake assembly rubbing against the rotor. This is pretty scary stuff considering it is a brand new car. They are going to replace brake pads and the rotor. This is my first Mazda and frankly it is not a great start. Thankfully, it is covered under warranty but what if this happens again at $5000 miles. I am looking at a hefty bill to pay!!!

Last edited by Aptedern; 02-08-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:22 PM

I am not finding much (in fact nothing) about any brake issues with the new CX9, probably just an isolated issue. I feel for you tho because for you it's 100%. I had a 2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited with the wide spread transmission problem, some who didn't have the problem felt it was no big deal.....easy for them to say. Long story short they bought it back and I got the wife the CX9. A little more money but well worth it.

I am at ~ 5K miles on mine just got it's first oil change. Not one problem with it so far. I also have a 2014 Mazda 6 GT with ~ 40K and it has been one of the best cars I've owned.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

1st time I've heard of brakes breaking in a new Mazda.

I think you've just been really unlucky.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 AM
Angry 2016 Cx-9 FWD Rear Right Rotor Issue

Hi, Aptedern

I bought a 2016 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD about less than a month ago.

I have about 600 miles on it and noticed the same thing on my right rear Rotor! I noticed it because I was hearing a squeezing noise from the breaks. I called the dealership and they told me to make a service appointment....in the mean time I started searching if others are having similar issues and I came across your post! I wonder if mine has the same issue. This is my first time buying a Mazda, NOT a good start! I'm glad I got the 100k/10 year extended warranty with zero deductible.

Also, I know it only has 600 miles on it but my best avg MPG is about 20. The most I am able to get on the freeway is about 23. No way close to the 28 listed. How about you?

Is your CX9 fwd or awd?

Old 03-17-2017, 01:28 PM

12,000 miles on my 2016, and zero problems. 26 mpg on the freeway.

There are no perfect cars. A problem of parts from some supplier is always a possibility. You should be in great condition after this repair. An extended service contract (not really a warranty) is not widely recommended, but if it allows you to sleep better at night, fine. Anyone considering the Mazda Extended Confidence Extended Service Plan (note that Mazda does not call it a warranty) should check on-line pricing from any Mazda dealer in the country. Anyone considering a third party extended service plan needs to be aware of the outfit possibly going bust, and you're left with nothing.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Hello.

My car is AWD and I get around 22.5 combined MPG.
About the brake issue, dealer replaced brake rotor and pads free of cost. I have not had any other problems since.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Rajinder Singh
Hi, Aptedern

I have about 600 miles on it and noticed the same thing on my right rear Rotor! I noticed it because I was hearing a squeezing noise from the breaks. I called the dealership and they told me to make a service appointment....in the mean time I started searching if others are having similar issues and I came across your post! I wonder if mine has the same issue. This is my first time buying a Mazda, NOT a good start! I'm glad I got the 100k/10 year extended warranty with zero deductible.

Also, I know it only has 600 miles on it but my best avg MPG is about 20. The most I am able to get on the freeway is about 23. No way close to the 28 listed. How about you?

Is your CX9 fwd or awd?

Old 03-17-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rajinder Singh
Hi, Aptedern

Is your CX9 fwd or awd?
I also have the '16 CX9 GT FWD and get ~21 - 22 MPG with pretty much all in city driving. I have ~ 6K miles on mine now. Don't start worrying yet, my MPG's were worse in the first month also. I have owned a lot of different cars in my lifetime, both foreign and domestic. My '14 Mazda 6 GT is one of the best cars I've ever owned, just turned over 40K miles and nothing but regular maintenance. I did upgrade the brakes as I thought the stock ones were only so-so. Second set of tires and a battery is all it's needed so far. (and oil changes but I don't even count that). No issues at all on the 9 yet.

Good luck to you,

Old 07-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Post 2016 mazda cx9

28540 miles started hearing squeezing noise from the rear break rotor. Thank GOD i left my window open this morning, otherwise would have not realize it.. No WARNING indication of Break replacement. I cant believe the manufacturer could produce such a defective breaks in 21st century. No reasonable person would even think of replacing the rear breaks at 28k miles. If they don't fix this problem this is going to go public all over the news. Not the first stupidest issue i have experienced with MAZDA during my three year lease term. In the meantime feel free to contact me via email if you are experiencing similar issue, as it smells like a class-action to me. My email address is 11235.us (at) gmail.com

Old 07-19-2020, 06:32 PM

My 2016 CX9 with 41,000 miles has about 5 mm of material remaining on the rear pads. Most of my driving has been highway driving. Tim may have very different driving conditions.