Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Ethanol vs MTBE

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Default Ethanol vs MTBE

Personal experience having used both fuels, the vehicle is not responding well to 93 containing ethanol. This 93 w/ethanol is the only fuel that is available in my area.

I have racing fuel (unleaded with MTBE) at my disposal but I am afraid of voiding the warranty. Anybody have any info in this area. I cant imagine putting a fuel that is cleaner burning and better for the car overall would be considered a negative.

Just as a side note: I never had a problem with my gas cap until the ethanol came into play. My light has gone off 3 times now. We are replacing the cap this week but I am convinced it is the ethanol.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Default RE: Ethanol vs MTBE

Well I would not use leaded racing fuel in it as the lead will kill your two cat converters. If you live in a state where they do not check this may not be an issue but it will most likely cause CELs to appear.

Make sure the cap clicks a few times when tightening it before stopping. I have never had a CEL for the gas cap either the original or the replacement.

I have run some 91 gas here that has Ethynol and no CELs appeared.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Default RE: Ethanol vs MTBE

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the effects of lead on both Cats and O2 sensors. Since the compression & turbo would not benefit from lead there is no need to go that route.

91 gas?? Not sure where you are located. In FL we have 93 (which actually is only a motor number of 87-88). I have begun hearing horror stories about Ethanol here. Yesterday we had a gentleman that does nothing but clean tanks all day. He said that the biggest problem he is experiencing is the ethanol falling out of suspention. He said that it looks very snotty (for lack of a better description).I left the seats down and did not run the radio for 2 weeks. When the tank is about half way, you can hear the cap popping from pressure. It was not 3 weeks later that I got a CEL on the dash.

Dont get me wrong, ethanol is not all bad. It's the oxygenate used in ALMS spec fuel(higher quanities than at the pump). Whatever they are doing for south FL- my car does not agree with...that's all.

Do you know whether it would void my warranty by running our 101? This is something I do NOT want to do but it sure would be nice to feel what this car can do (ie: no turbo lag).