Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Newbie - Key question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Default Newbie - Key question

I am considering the purchase of a 2007 Mazda CX-7. The car was at a repair shop having some work done on the engine when the mechanic was arrested. The mechanic had the key for the car on him and thus it is now considered evidence in the case even though the car is not involved. Frustrated by the whole situation, the owner no longer wants to fix the car, but instead just wants to sell it. Unfortunately he only had the one key. I understand Mazda requires at least one key in order to have a second made. Is it possible to order a replacement key directly from Mazda or do I need to go through the dealer or a locksmith?

I really any advice you are able to offer.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 AM

What kind of work was being performed? The car is infamous for turbo problems due to design flaws in the EGR system. I've been through this and the only thing that saved me was a warranty that I purchased with the vehicle but it could re-occur anytime. The other weak link is the VVT and timing chain! Get as much info on this car as you can otherwise it could be a huge money-pit (like a boat) if the car is not up to snuff!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the tips. The problem was a broken valve. When I rebuild the engine I plan to replace the timing chain. Should I also replace the VVT gear? Any tips on checking out the turbo - EGR system?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Jim, If the chain is stretched out then you might as well change the VVT gear as well (it's only $80 more and the new VVT supposedly is redesigned to work more efficiently). When you get the motor put together run it for a few days to get the oil circulating again(Mazda recommends Castrol 5w-30 Syn). Then first thing in the morning start the car up and let it idle....for about 20 minutes..keep your eyes on the temp gauge and at the same time see if any smoke comes out the tail pipe! If white smoke comes out (not condensation-type) it would be suspect...then run the car down the road and see if any blue smoke comes out of the tailpipe! If there is then the turbo seals are probably leaking! Then to repair that you need to get the ventilation repair kit L3Y1-13-S80B...If you need more info let me know.