Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Extended warranty- should i or shouldn't I

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Default Extended warranty- should i or shouldn't I

Just purchased a 2008 CX7 Grand Touring for my daughter with moonroof and surround sound. Car has 54,000 miles and looks like new inside and out.

My concern is the turbo engine and the age of the car.

I have never purchased an extended warranty on any car I have owned or on any appliance. But this car has me feeling a bit edgy.

The warranty through AAA for 4 years and 48,000 miles bumper to bumper with a few exclusions is $2600.

I realize the whole warranty thing is a crap shoot but from peoples experience here with this car any opinions?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 AM

I would say put the $2,600 in an interest bearing account and draw against it if/when an unscheduled repair is required; odds are pretty good you'll have money left over when you get rid of the vehicle.

FWIW, I started doing this back in the late 1980s after my one and only extended warranty didn't justify the cost; since then my wife and I have purchased eleven vehicles. Over those eleven vehicles the extended warranties totaled just under $21,000; the account still has over $15,000 in it. Ironically, the single most expensive repair I used that account for was a new transmission; the thing is, the transmission failed exactly 9,000 miles after the extended warranty would have expired so technically the account should have nearly $18,000 in it.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM

Thanks for your reply shipo. I agree , generally that extended warranties are a poor gamble. That's why I never get them. But I was concerned about this particular car because it's my first turbo. I will educate my daughter about letting the engine idle before starting and shutting down, I'll change the plugs and fuel filters and hope for the best. Thanks again

Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Andykp
Thanks for your reply shipo. I agree , generally that extended warranties are a poor gamble. That's why I never get them. But I was concerned about this particular car because it's my first turbo. I will educate my daughter about letting the engine idle before starting and shutting down, I'll change the plugs and fuel filters and hope for the best. Thanks again
And always-ALWAYS use synthetic oil. Why? Because synthetic oil has a much higher "coking" point (which is what ruins turbo bearing).

Old 12-30-2016, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I too would put the $2600 in the bank. Regular maintenance is crucial to the health of these motors.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM

Yeah, I agree grim. I'm not gonna bet against the house on this one.
I can only hope the first owner took good care of the maintenance issues. There's no indications on the car fax and the other similar report the dealer had.
Happy new year to the forum readers!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Problem solved. The car was having additional issues such as key got stuck twice and dashboard cluster lights going on and off. I also didn't like having to use premium gas which is 50 cents a gallon and more here and hoping my daughter remembers to not shut the engine off right away. So I exchanged it for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata. Not as sexy as the Mazda but more practical for my daughter. Dealer was somewhat reasonable with exchange though it's not their policy so I I didn't haggle that he charged me 500$ more than advertised since she put on 600 miles on the cx7 and its a lot of paperwork to cancel a deal with bank financing. So in parting thanks for listening and advising and I'll be joining the Sonata board next.