Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

CX-7 Premature & Excessive Wear on Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Default CX-7 Premature & Excessive Wear on Tires

I am a new owner of a Mazda CX-7 with 4 wheel drive and I have experienced a lot of issues and problems with my vehicule... After the 2 recalls for the engine light staying on and the actuator shutter valve, I am not havinga majortire problem to deal with at 16k km. My stock Bridgestone Turanza tires are showing premature and excessive wear even after they have been rotated at 6k & 12K km as per the service maintenance schedule. One set has no crossthread and worn on the inside edge while the other set are worn in the middle. I have reported the issue at a 16K km oil change and the dealer has now changed 2 tires which are the worst set at the front but not changed the other 2 tires at the back... I have now requested the dealer to change the other set as they are claiming that it was an alignment problem... I am awaiting the dealer's answer...

I know that this is an alignment problem but not only on 2 wheels but all 4 wheels based on the wearing...
The fact that the stock tires are crap and that the tires are not matched for this vehicule does not help either... The car warranty is 20k km or 1 year and I am below so I am trying to have all 4 tires replaced...
If the alignment gets done properly with all 4 new Turanza tires, will I get at least 30k km with these stock tires?

Any suggestions on other replacement tires for the CX-7? Can I go to 255?

Thank you!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 AM
kaw
Default RE: CX-7 Premature & Excessive Wear on Tires

I too have an '07 AWD. I think you'll find universal distain for the OEM tires, both Bridgestone and Goodyears. I had the same issues you describe with my Goodyears and I just replaced them @ 23,000 mi (38K Km?). Which is way too early in my opinion. The tires were exremely harsh, noisey and completely worn, I also had cupping on the front.

I did considerable research and decided to go with 255/55/18 Toyo Proxes S/T's. The 255/55 is 1/10" shorter and about 3/4" wider but fits beautifully without any clearance issues. The Proxes is a street truck and SUV tire. I have had it on my '05 Dodge Magnum for 3 years and 35,000 miles and they are wearing great. I think I'll get to 50k mi before replacing them. They are a mud/snow rated tire and my RWD Dodge handles the snow surprising well. I expect nothing less on my AWD CX-7. The change in the vehicle was amazing,theCX-7 handles much better,rides much quieter and doesn't seems nearly as harsh on the road. Admittedly, it does feel a bit heavier at very low speed, probably due to extra width. The tires are directional. I really feel like this is the type of tire Mazda should have spec'd in the first place. I have also heard good things about the Khumo AST if you want to stay with the original size.

Hope this helps.