Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)

Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chitown Drifter
You might not BE home when a blizzard hits. If I end up purchasing a CX-5 it will be for the higher ground clearance and AWD for the Chicago winter and also for reaching trailheads on rough forest roads. If I didn't think I'd ever use my vehicle in those conditions I wouldn't get an SUV/crossover. A regular car has better fuel economy and something like the VW Sportwagen (being redesigned for 2015) carries plenty of cargo.

But if Mazda doesn't offer AWD with the 2.0 and 6 spd manual, I'll buy something else. The Subaru XV Crosstrek has slightly better MPG than the CX-5, but I just might replace my 2007 Honda Fit with the redesigned 2015 model. This winter has been brutal in Chicago, but I haven't stayed home with my little low-slung car.
Where I live in Tn. it's not likely I'll get caught out in a blizzard, I also lived in Mich. for 14yrs so I know about blizzards! I got this vehicle because I like the way it looks and no they don't offer the 2.0 with 6spd manual and awd. You can get it with an auto, but they say it a little low on power. There are plenty of dirt roads and four wheeling area's around here, but I don't care for that and I have an old Toyota pickup for that. I plan to do a few mods for gas mileage, power and better handling. I traded a 2012 Mustang on this so I've had enough cars for a while.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by katana
Why would you expect more from Bose? Their home speakers are junk, marked way up and sold not on merit but with massive marketing. They are the equivalent of store sold "white van" speakers.
What surprises me is that there doesn't appear to be people who are doing after market upgrades to their cars and then passing on the information to other members via the Forum. My other car is a Prius (2005) and speakers were less than optimum but I easily found information on the Prius Forum about upgrading the speakers, what to buy, how to remove the interior panels, etc., etc.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tom95134
What surprises me is that there doesn't appear to be people who are doing after market upgrades to their cars and then passing on the information to other members via the Forum. My other car is a Prius (2005) and speakers were less than optimum but I easily found information on the Prius Forum about upgrading the speakers, what to buy, how to remove the interior panels, etc., etc.
There is an active forum on CX-5 audio upgrades.
CX-5 Car Audio & Electronics

Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM
Default storage

I really like the cx-5 but lack of cup holders and interior storage turns me off.
If I want to use an ash tray in one, it is a little awkward. And don't miss as the coffee would be right next to it.

My older Outlander has a small cutout in the door where I keep my lighter and gum. Another cutout in the dash under the radio for telephone and sunglass storage. One cup holder in front of the shift lever, ideal for an ashtray. Then 2 cup holders like the cx 5. In addition there is an ashtray in the dash where I throw my coins.

It seems kinda dumb not to buy a car because of cup holders, but you have to be comfortable.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by bill25
I really like the cx-5 but lack of cup holders and interior storage turns me off.
If I want to use an ash tray in one, it is a little awkward. And don't miss as the coffee would be right next to it.

My older Outlander has a small cutout in the door where I keep my lighter and gum. Another cutout in the dash under the radio for telephone and sunglass storage. One cup holder in front of the shift lever, ideal for an ashtray. Then 2 cup holders like the cx 5. In addition there is an ashtray in the dash where I throw my coins.

It seems kinda dumb not to buy a car because of cup holders, but you have to be comfortable.
I agree. The lack of cup holders is a real design error. My Prius has a two cup holder in a flip-down on the rear of the center console. This one is convenient for both the front and rear seats since it is easy to flip down and put a drink in one of the holder positions from the front seat.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM

Only complaint so far is the rear seats don't recline, and the front seats should be more comfortable for a car this highway-efficient.

Paint quality has always been an issue with Mazda. No reason to think they will address it anytime soon.

As for the complaints about advertised MPG not matching their reality, it has nothing to do with Mazda. The EPA puts out those numbers. Drive like the EPA folks do and you will match their numbers.

As for complaints about the GPS and audio, those are software issues that can be addressed with updates. This is the easiest problem a manufacturer has to deal with. Which means they have no excuse not to get to it quickly. They will be fixed for everyone, not just on the next gen.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by spicymudbugs
I've noticed the hood deal too. I actually noticed it on the way home from the dealership on the interstate home. I pulled over because i thought it as unlatched and was going to fly open. The hood is incredibly thin.
I think this is fixed on the 2015. The first thing I noticed when I opened the hood was how heavy it was. I haven't noticed any vibration.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Only complaint so far...

As for complaints about the GPS and audio, those are software issues that can be addressed with updates. Defending these shortcomings isn't valid. Software issues are the easiest problem a manufacturer has to deal with. Which means they have no excuse not to get to it quickly. They will be fixed for everyone, not just on the next gen.
Yes, it's just software. So why aren't these issues fixed? Or is it that Mazda doesn't have anyone reading this forum?

There are simple things like:
  1. Why the brightness of the NAV screen changes at the same time the Auto Headlights activate? This change occurs when the outside light is still fairly bright and the result is that the NAV screen becomes unreadable until the ambient light drops.
  2. Why doesn't the Bose audio system have tone controls that follow the type of program currently set. Yes, this doesn't work well on AM/FM stations but SIRIUS indicates the program content and this could easily be followed. Also, most AM/FM stations are pretty well fixed in their type of programming.
  3. I'm not sure what is with the AC. If I try to use "Auto" and let it steer itself the car gets too warm so I end up having to manually adjust the fan speed.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Geerhead
I think this is fixed on the 2015. The first thing I noticed when I opened the hood was how heavy it was. I haven't noticed any vibration.
I took delivery on my 2015 2 weeks ago. No mirror or hood vibration/shake. I do have the newer style mirrors and yes, the hood is heavy.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Geerhead
What did they do? Is it a heavier metal, cross bracing, or did they just put something like liner on the hood?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)