Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by spicymudbugs
iRizer, I agree with all you listed.
The Bose system is lacking for sure. One would expect more from a Bose
The safety issues are a joke. I'm not 16 years old. There should be a way to adjust this.
I've noticed the hood deal too. I actually noticed it on the way home from the dealership on the interstate home. I pulled over because i thought it as unlatched and was going to fly open. The hood is incredibly thin.
Wind noise is bad especially when the moonroof is open. I've had moonroofs in every vehicle i have ever owned and this is the worst one. If you're driving more than 35mph it is very loud.
The flimsy hood drives me crazy. After a year, and having the dealer actually do a service check on it, I still am anxious about it blowing open when driving. The movement is very unnerving to me.

Several other things drive me insane with this vehicle, but most have already been mentioned many times.

I wish I wouldn't have been so hell-bent on the CX-5. I had a base 2006 6 that I thought was a good car. I'm not so convinced with this one. I probably would have bought something else if I's just waited a few months for the other 2014s to be released.

I still have to say the I like the body style better than anything else in class/price point.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by spicymudbugs
The Bose system is lacking for sure. One would expect more from a Bose
Why would you expect more from Bose? Their home speakers are junk, marked way up and sold not on merit but with massive marketing. They are the equivalent of store sold "white van" speakers.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM

I have never driven a CX-5 but I'm in the market for a new vehicle within the next 2 years, and I have a major complaint about the current CX-5:

The manual transmission is offered only in the 2WD base model.

I haven't owned an automatic transmission since 1980, but not because I can only afford a base model. I prefer having the control of a manual transmission, and would also like AWD with some of the features of the higher trims.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Overall, we are very happy with our 2014 CX-5, and my wife (her car) has 0 complaints. I am very impressed with the cars driving dynamics as a whole and that is the main reason that I picked it over the competition.

Here is a list of the things that bother me or I wish it had:
-start button is a pain when you don't have keyless entry, and it's hidden behind the wiper stalk.
-only the drivers window switch lights up (very annoying at night), also only the driver's window has one touch up/down
-there isn't a rear ac/heat vent
-The plastic in the driver's foot well seems to come loose every now and then
-You can see some of the cost cutting in the interior and the way the parts are snapped together

Last edited by LaneS; 02-22-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Look under the front seats.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by LaneS
Overall, we are very happy with our 2014 CX-5, and my wife (her car) has 0 complaints. I am very impressed with the cars driving dynamics as a whole and that is the main reason that I picked it over the competition.

Here is a list of the things that bother me or I wish it had:
-start button is a pain when you don't have keyless entry, and it's hidden behind the wiper stalk.
-only the drivers window switch lights up (very annoying at night), also only the driver's window has one touch up/down
-The plastic in the driver's foot well seems to come loose every now and then
-You can see some of the cost cutting in the interior and the way the parts are snapped together
Originally Posted by paris1
Look under the front seats.

I guess I should have said "a proper rear ac/heat vent"

Old 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by LaneS
I guess I should have said "a proper rear ac/heat vent"

Or adjustable rear ac/heat vents built into back of center console like many vehicles.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 AM

I have the Sport model with the 2.0 and 6 spd manual, I'm quite happy with it. It has more than enough power and gets over 32 mpg. I have replaced the factory speakers with some JL Audio units and they sound very good. I'm looking into replacing the base radio with a Pioneer DVD HU. I have a TOMTOM for nav.
I wanted a stick shift so I didn't go any higher in the models, I never do usually. Bose no thank you, awd, if it's that bad out I'm staying home and fog lights, same thing. I installed 4 Osram headlight bulbs so I can see very well. So I guess I've fixed most of my complaints.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 AM

I would add rear vents, a better head system, lights for the door controls and trunk, and the keyless entry as standard and this car would be 100% perfect.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by trustyrusty436
awd, if it's that bad out I'm staying home
You might not BE home when a blizzard hits. If I end up purchasing a CX-5 it will be for the higher ground clearance and AWD for the Chicago winter and also for reaching trailheads on rough forest roads. If I didn't think I'd ever use my vehicle in those conditions I wouldn't get an SUV/crossover. A regular car has better fuel economy and something like the VW Sportwagen (being redesigned for 2015) carries plenty of cargo.

But if Mazda doesn't offer AWD with the 2.0 and 6 spd manual, I'll buy something else. The Subaru XV Crosstrek has slightly better MPG than the CX-5, but I just might replace my 2007 Honda Fit with the redesigned 2015 model. This winter has been brutal in Chicago, but I haven't stayed home with my little low-slung car.

Quick Reply: Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)