Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Default Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)

1) navigation is problematic, voice recognition doesn't work, and buggy in general, every time i turn on the car, it tells me "stopping voice control" like 2 to 3 times, i start to wonder if its becoming selfaware. or if someone is playing a joke. recently navigation also seems extremely slow in response on navigating the menu.

2) auto temp control is not precise / refined enough. it's either full blast, or too weak. sometimes it just takes too long to ramp up. I've seen cars where the fan immediately start to ramp up or down by 1 strength as you adjust 2 degrees either direction.

3) auto entry buggy, 95% of the time it works, sometimes i do find the car unlocked when it should lock. i suspect passenger exit order and timing. the car should ultimately lock after 30 seconds of no activity, unless a door is open. you can't unlock the doors from the outside with your fob if the car is running and has doors locked.

these inconvenience is really getting to me. they need to fix it via a software update or something.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:37 AM

1) Navigation isnt perfect but it's not the big problem with the CX5
2) USB interface is a joke. IPOD restarts at the first song every time you restart engine. Takes about 2 minutes to regenerate. Doesnt read Playlist. pathetic
3) I am not getting MPG that Mazda is claiming. My dashboard reads 21.2 most of the time and i calculated my last tank of gas to have an actual 19.28 MPG. I drive 100% in the city but i don't drive crazy.
All in all, Im disappointed in the CX5. Wont be buying another Mazda

Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM

I wont repeat the issues listed, but totally agree with the ipod interface and nav system being a joke
  • Need padded Arm Rest on console, should be in GT trim at least
  • Auto up/down windows for all windows
  • Liftgate release on key fob. Auto open would be nice
  • Subwoofer with Bose package
  • Fix saftey lock issues with radio. Really, If a song title is more than 16 chars, it is unsafe for me to see the rest of the title while driving?
  • Sirius, cant set alerts while driving?!? So if I want to tag a song, its only ok if the song is playing when I am stopped. Wonderful!
  • Nav zoom levels suck - Either no detail or random street names that the unit feels like labeling, usually not cross streets. I swear it makes up some names
  • Lower the tailgate, not a huge deal, but would be nice if an inch or two lower. I am 5' 11" and if I sit on the tailgate, my feet dangle
  • Fix hood. While it doesn't vibrate constantly, if I hit a bump it will visibly shake up and down
  • heated Mirrors, at least in GT trim
  • Wind noise can be quite bad when driving at highway speeds. This should be addressed.
  • In general, CX-5 good exterior, interior & electronics seems like an afterthought.

Would I be crazy to trade my CX-5 in for a Escape Titanium? I rented one and liked it (SEL). While it has a few issues, they are a lot less than the CX-5. The CX-5 is better than the Escape. Also I had the 1.6 Escape, and the CX-5 acceleration was better. Not sure about the 2.0.

Last edited by iRizer; 06-29-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM

iRizer, I agree with all you listed.
The Bose system is lacking for sure. One would expect more from a Bose
The safety issues are a joke. I'm not 16 years old. There should be a way to adjust this.
I've noticed the hood deal too. I actually noticed it on the way home from the dealership on the interstate home. I pulled over because i thought it as unlatched and was going to fly open. The hood is incredibly thin.
Wind noise is bad especially when the moonroof is open. I've had moonroofs in every vehicle i have ever owned and this is the worst one. If you're driving more than 35mph it is very loud.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by spicymudbugs
iRizer, I agree with all you listed.
The Bose system is lacking for sure. One would expect more from a Bose
The safety issues are a joke. I'm not 16 years old. There should be a way to adjust this.
I've noticed the hood deal too. I actually noticed it on the way home from the dealership on the interstate home. I pulled over because i thought it as unlatched and was going to fly open. The hood is incredibly thin.
Wind noise is bad especially when the moonroof is open. I've had moonroofs in every vehicle i have ever owned and this is the worst one. If you're driving more than 35mph it is very loud.
Its funny, I read your post elsewhere and I was thinking I could have written it. I really feel the same way. My advice is that the CX-5 is a great car, but if you are a techie, which is more than likley true if you are on this forum, the CX-5's infotainment/nav is beyond frustrating. I think the average driver might not nitpick as much. I am keeping my fingers crossed that some of the issues with the system get fixed via a software update, but we will see.

One other thing I wanted to add to the list is they should have LED nightlights in the foot wells. The Mazda 3 has it, pretty suprised the CX-5 doesn't.

Despite my grieviances with the car, I do like it enough that I will enjoy driving it. I really do enjoy looking at it. As I park it and walk away, I can't help notice how good the styling is. If I park near a 2013 Escape, I really don't think it looks as good. Particularly the back side is pretty dumpy compared to the CX-5. Actually the one thing I do like on the Escape when looking head on as compared to the CX-5 is the wider rubber on the tires. Looking straight on tat the CX-5, the tires look a bit skinny. A wider tire would be nice.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by spicymudbugs
It is louder than our Mazda3 but about the same as our P5 was. Get a deflector for the moonroof. It took me a day or two to completely warm to the look but I can drive at 70 with the moonroof open and easily carry on a conversation with passengers now.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by iRizer
Actually the one thing I do like on the Escape when looking head on as compared to the CX-5 is the wider rubber on the tires. Looking straight on tat the CX-5, the tires look a bit skinny. A wider tire would be nice.
Road and Track just had a great little article on tire width:
You Thought You Knew - Tire Contact Patches - Road & Track

"..diminished straight-line traction, including braking and hydroplaning resistance. The increased mass and friction can also translate to slower lap times and a drop in fuel economy."

Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM

The automatic climate control does not work as expected.
To cool the car I need to set the unit in the manual mode

Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by HandA
It is louder than our Mazda3 but about the same as our P5 was. Get a deflector for the moonroof. It took me a day or two to completely warm to the look but I can drive at 70 with the moonroof open and easily carry on a conversation with passengers now.
Did you buy this from Mazda?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by CX-5-2013
The automatic climate control does not work as expected.
To cool the car I need to set the unit in the manual mode
Yes, I tend to use manual mode on all my cars with automatic climate control systems, not just the CX-5.

Quick Reply: Your complaints on the cx-5 (for next gen to improve)