Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Windshield shadow using low beams

Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Angry Windshield shadow using low beams

First let me say I love my Mazda----Except for driving at night. I have the adaptive headlights and when driving at night especially on curves and downhill with low beams. a shadow is across the windshield narrowing my vision to point were I have a very restrictive view and at times almost had to come to stop to see around a corner.
My Mazda is the 2014 CX5 with the Grand Touring package. My dealer claims no one has ever mentioned this to them. Mazda out of Calif. claims they never heard of this problem.

Has anyone had this same problem. I believe it is a very serious safety problem.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Try driving with the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) switch turned off. I've never driven a CX5 at night so I can't comment of what its like. Also get the dealer to check the system is working properly, the lights return to centre and that the height / alignment is adjusted correctly.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Angry

Thank you. I have tried turning off the AFS system--but the results are the same. I have video showing how dangerous it is to drive at night with the low beams. I showed the video to the dealer and they just shrug their shoulders and tell me no one else has ever complained. Why am I so lucky

Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Angry Windshield shadow picture

Windshield shadow.jpg

Attached is how the shadow is with low beams. You can see that you have a very narrow field of vision--which I believe is a serious problem

Attached Thumbnails Windshield shadow using low beams-windshield-shadow.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Don't understand your use of the word "shadow". It would appear you're talking about the "cutoff" designed into the light which defines the pattern along the top edge of the beam. This is true with the standard halogen lights too and some people have a difficult time adjusting to it. Mazda has used this style light for years; my wife's '06 Miata has it. On my CX-5 Touring (regular halogen lights) I adjusted the lights up a bit (easy to do with adjuster mechanism on the back of the headlight bucket). If the dealer says yours are properly adjusted to factory specs, you may want to consider making a similar adjustment yourself. Just make sure you don't end up getting flashed by oncoming drivers, which would indicate that you've gone too far.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Angry

Yes you are correct. Shadow is the wrong description. It's like a curtain across the windshield that narrows your field of view. I cannot believe this is standard for halogen or any other type of lights, How are you supposed to see when using low beams ,going around corners, or going down hill. The lights cannot project a beam far enough --totally useless. Never had this problem on my Toyota's. I may have to sell if the dealer cannot rectify the problem--because the car is useless at night. VERY disappointed in Mazda

Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by arkyank1
Yes you are correct. Shadow is the wrong description. It's like a curtain across the windshield that narrows your field of view. I cannot believe this is standard for halogen or any other type of lights, How are you supposed to see when using low beams ,going around corners, or going down hill. The lights cannot project a beam far enough --totally useless. Never had this problem on my Toyota's. I may have to sell if the dealer cannot rectify the problem--because the car is useless at night. VERY disappointed in Mazda
No need to sell. That "curtain" can be adjusted higher. If the Mazda dealer can't or won't adjust it a independent shop can. By adjust it I mean move it higher. New lights are designed to have a sharp cut off so they don't blind other drivers. Your lights look just like the lights on my 01 Audi and my 03 Mitsubishi

If you get them set to the correct height I think you will like them.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I'm totally baffled by the shadow description. I know the cutoff on the HIDs is pretty sharp but I don't consider that a concern. I am, however, very impressed with the vision to the right of the vehicle. My first night trip I could clearly see the deer by the shoulder of the road.

There is a cutoff to the upper left of the beam to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. On a dark road, hitting the high beams has no effect on brightness - it simply moves the curtain allowing the beam to project into the upper left.

This setup is simply the best headlight performance I've driven behind - and I've yet to have anyone flash at me with the low beams on.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM

I also think your use of the word "narrow" is a bit confusing. Narrow to me is like a hallway - restricted left to right. If you mean the upper portion of the beam pattern is dark, I call that "shallow" meaning depth.

Have you ever had a car with HIDs? A sharp cutoff on the top of the beam is normal. If you feel yours is too low, you can have the dealer take a look at it but these HIDs are self-adjusting. Put a heavy load in the cargo area and the headlights adjust down to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. Perhaps my description is a bit wrong. What I am seeing as shown in the picture is a curtain that extends down from the top of the windshield leaving a very small window above the dashboard area to view through How anyone can drive safely with this condition is beyond me. No I have not had previous vehicles with this type of lights--- but lights illumination should project far enough so you don't have to nearly stop going around corners or downhill. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield shadow using low beams