Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to pull the trigger on a 2014 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Default When to pull the trigger on a 2014 Touring?

I'm ready for a new car to replace my much too small 2001 Sentra and have landed on the CX-5 Touring. I am ready to pull the trigger but just read that the 2015's are already about to hit the shelves which seems really early, I thought the next year's model didn't come out until last Summer or early Fall. Should I wait a month or two for the prices to drop? I'm not really in a hurry since my Sentra is doing fine at the moment.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM

Make sure you get a 2014.5. The automatic has a non-gated shifter with leather boot. The longer you wait the less selection you will have, but possible better deal. Spring is when car sales rise, so you may not get a big discount if you wait too long. I bought my 2014.5 Touring on Jan 31st and got $1700 below MSRP. Do a search on autotrader.com for new CX-5s in 250 mile radius. There will be a few dealers with big discounts. Show those to your local dealer and ask for price matching. Worked for me. Wait too long and you'll wind up paying full MSRP on a 2015.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Ok I just didn't want to buy at a bad time. Sounds like now is as good of a time as any to get one, I'll be sure to ask and make sure its a 2014.5, stupid question but what is an easy way to confirm its a 2014.5? Seems like most of the people on autotrader with good prices included a ton of discounts I'm not eligible for like military, loyalty and conquest discounts. Its good to know you got $1700 off MSRP, should give an idea of what to shoot for. Mind if I ask where you got yours from in case I'm close by. I'm dealing with Paul Miller Mazda who had the shaddy pricing on Autotrader but they have good reviews on Google and have thus far discounted the most however I'm just now getting to really look at pricing. I just emailed my salesman since I've locked in on a model and I offered $2235 off MSRP so that should give us somewhere to start.

I'm new to automatic transmissions, what does gated versus non gated mean? Is not gated where its just straight shifting down where gating is the maze like effect?

Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 AM

Just look for leather boot on shifter and you will know its 2014.5. Got mine at Jim Ellis Mazda in Atlanta. Look at plate in door sill to insure it was built after 10/2013 so you get the advanced chassis that gets best crash test rating. Only options I got on Touring model was Bose since the stock radio is really bad. Even the Bose has some issues with USB, but a qwerk of owning a CX-5. So far I've gotten 26mpg on two tanks of gas doing city driving. Amazing mpg.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Well that a good deal, I'm only about 3 hours from Atlanta. I'll have to play the old "forum buddy" got $1700 off MSRP card. Did you have to upgrade to the sunroof as well to get the Bose or did they let you just get it by itself. Mind if I ask who your salesman was there?

One more thing was the $1700 off MSRP everything but TTL or did the add a doc fee back onto that? The dealer in Lexington has a $559 doc fee but I just add it back into the MSRP since its pretty much a bogus fee. Dealers are good for making you feel like you're getting a deal off MSRP then bloating the end price with BS fees.

Last edited by zanemoseley; 03-10-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting about being a 2014.5, when built 10/2013

In New Zealand, Its year of registration is its recognised year, in Australia the year it's built is the recognised year.

I bought a brand new 2012 built Mazda 3 in April 2013 & its registered as a 2012

Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by zanemoseley
Well that a good deal, I'm only about 3 hours from Atlanta. I'll have to play the old "forum buddy" got $1700 off MSRP card. Did you have to upgrade to the sunroof as well to get the Bose or did they let you just get it by itself. Mind if I ask who your salesman was there?

One more thing was the $1700 off MSRP everything but TTL or did the add a doc fee back onto that? The dealer in Lexington has a $559 doc fee but I just add it back into the MSRP since its pretty much a bogus fee. Dealers are good for making you feel like you're getting a deal off MSRP then bloating the end price with BS fees.
Yes, the Bose comes with sun roof. Salesman I dealt with was Tyler at Jim Ellis Mazda in Chamblee. He was great to deal with. Got the Touring /w Bose for $25,000 msrp + taxes + $500 doc fee. Don't know if they will give you that deal. I went on last day of month because that is when they will deal to meet monthly quotas. Don't do a trade in because their used car department will low ball you. I chose to sell old car myself.

Looks like bunch of no option Tourings are going for $24000 right now.
I'm sure if you look local on autotrader, there will be many near you.
New Mazda CX-5 SUVs / Crossovers for Sale in GA 30047 - AutoTrader.com[MAZDA[CX-5[CX-5|Touring]][]]&modelCode1=CX-5&searchRadius=200&sellerType=d&sellerTypes=d&show caseListingId=0&showcaseOwnerId=0&sortBy=derivedpr iceASC&startYear=2012&vehicleStyleCodes=SUVCROSS&L og=0

Last edited by CC58; 03-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Well I'm pretty excited, I pulled the trigger today after haggling with Jim Ellis in Atlanta and Paul Miller in Lexington KY. Here's what I ended up with:

2014.5 Touring FWD (has non-gated shifter) $24,815
Destination Fee $795
White Pearl Paint Upgrade $200
All Weather Floor Mats $100
Cargo Tray $75
Roof Rack $250
Total MSRP $26,235

What I paid: $24,535 + $595 DOC fee, plus they're driving it down to me which is over 3 hours. I'm pretty happy with the deal. Atlanta was pretty quick to match your $1700 off MSRP price but they wouldn't drive it up. Also I'd been working with Paul Miller Mazda and they seem pretty good except for having some shaddy internet pricing that includes a bunch of discounts not many people qualify for. They have great reviews on Google which gives me a bit more piece of mind too unlike a couple of our local dealers who have as low as a 2 star average out of 5 stars.

Thanks for the help. It really is nice knowing what other people got so you know how hard to push and when you've really got all you're going to.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:15 PM

I just washed the new baby. Probably should have waited to take pics in the sun but I'm driving it tonight so figured I'd get a shot while its clean as a whistle. So far I'm loving it, smooth ride, plenty of power and the interior is pretty darn nice for what it cost. A bit of wind noise is my only gripe and its pretty tiny. I'm usually not a huge fan of white but in person up close this metallic white is awesome, the metallic flake really sets it off.

Name:  0314141744a_zpsuwcygack.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  0314141745_zpsfqxazl1g.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  77.5 KB

Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM
stb

I would pull the trigger now. I spent the last three weeks looking at the Mazda 2014 inventory shrink from 402 to 197 in 250 mi radius. My wife and I didn't get what we really wanted.
We got a 2014 Touring AWD with Sun roof - Bose package and NAV for $26503 tax and lic. not included

Quick Reply: When to pull the trigger on a 2014 Touring?