Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

What 19" tires to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:50 AM

Our 2014 CX5 has the 19 inch wheels. The roads near our home are not the smoothest so for about the first 2 to 3 miles the CX5 ride is horrible every time we get in it. We've added padded seat covers for the front seats which has helped a little but it's still easily the worst riding car I've ever owned. I see in the service manual that some CX5's came with 225/65R 17 tires on 17 inch rims. I'm thinking of switching wheels to help the ride. They're nearly the same diameter as the 225/55R 19 inch wheels that are on the car now.

I'd also consider a softer strut/shock if there's one available but I haven't seen any.

I appreciate the information in the comments on this thread and any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM

The CX-5 is not the best-riding CUV around in any configuration, but that's the price you pay for a better-handling suspension. Which is what the CX-5 is known for, along with most other Mazdas. The 17" wheels on the lower trim models do arguably ride a bit better. One thing you might try is dropping the pressures from 36 psi to maybe 32#. I run 30# (vs the factor-recommended 34) in my 2013 Touring with 17" wheels because mine is lowered with H&R springs, which makes the ride even more stiff. You might want to try this and see if it makes any appreciable difference.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:03 AM

At 25K miles my tread depth is at 3/32. After much research I decided on Continental Truecontacts but when I searched their website for Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring nothing came up. I emailed Continental & they said "We offer a replacement tire in the size, (225/55R19 99 H. Unfortunately; this tire has an H speed rating, (130 mph, and your vehicle requires a V speed rating(149 mph). Although you would never drive at this speed, design and performance expectation are based on a tire constructed to archive a V speed rating." So will the Truecontact tires last? We drive mostly in town & not over 75 on the highway. Usually 55-60 because of traffic. We're looking for quiet tires with a comfortable ride, not race track tires. Should I gamble on Truecontacts or keep looking?

Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sid777
Our 2014 CX5 has the 19 inch wheels. The roads near our home are not the smoothest so for about the first 2 to 3 miles the CX5 ride is horrible every time we get in it. We've added padded seat covers for the front seats which has helped a little but it's still easily the worst riding car I've ever owned. I see in the service manual that some CX5's came with 225/65R 17 tires on 17 inch rims. I'm thinking of switching wheels to help the ride. They're nearly the same diameter as the 225/55R 19 inch wheels that are on the car now.

I'd also consider a softer strut/shock if there's one available but I haven't seen any.

I appreciate the information in the comments on this thread and any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Your best bet would be to drop to 225/65 R17 tires wrapped around new 17" wheels; that said, in exchange for a softer and more compliant ride, you will lose some handling precision.

As a reference:
  • 225/65 R17 Diameter: 28.5
  • 225/55 R19 Diameter: 28.8

Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by rosario1991
Though this is expensive and rare but I support 225/55R19 99V tire.
Why would you make that recommendation? If you look up at the top of this thread the original poster specifically stated he is looking for a softer/more compliant ride to deal with the bumpy roads in his area.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Ok, So I have the 17 inch rims on order to replace my 19 inch wheels. I've read through all the posts in this thread a couple of times. There's some good information here. I looked at the Continental TrueContact 225/65R 17 tires and am getting a quote for them. I see, however, that they have a "T" speed rating. While I'm quite sure I'll never drive 118 mph, I'm thinking I should probably get a higher speed rating for the CX5. I have put a "T" speed rated tire on an MPV that we had which Mazda recommended an "H" rated tire for. MPV's are kinda slow though so I wasn't too concerned about it.

So, does anybody have an opinion on this tire: Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - 225/65R17 102H. I like the sounds of the advertised comfortable ride after having been bounced around in the CX5 for the past couple of years.

Thanks again for all the good info.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:54 PM

I've had both the Goodyear Assurance and the Continental True Contact tires on one of my vehicles (currently running the Contis); hands down the Continental tires are the best (noise, ride, handing, and snow/wet/dry grip), however, I did manage over 65,000 miles over an 18 month period on the Goodyears, so they do have good tread life characteristics.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:40 PM

They do make an H-rated version of the Conti with an LX suffix in the name, but the T-rated Conti gets better ratings on TireRack and a LOT of CX-5 owners are using them as a replacement tire.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM

you might also want to look at the General Altimax RT43, has an H rating and is right up there with the Conti ratings. Bought a set of these over the weekend and they gave the vehicle a whole new personality.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by madar
you might also want to look at the General Altimax RT43, has an H rating and is right up there with the Conti ratings. Bought a set of these over the weekend and they gave the vehicle a whole new personality.
Good suggestion. In my experience, General tires are often underrated and I know the RT43 gets good marks on TireRack. Can you elaborate on it's good points?

Quick Reply: What 19" tires to buy?