Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 19" tires to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sasha5
How do the new tires handle the curves and how's the ride?
I know it's early but do you see any gain or loss on fuel economy?

I've had my new CX-5 for 2 months and these rock-hard Toyo tires must go.
Also looking at the Contis.
Don't be so sure it's those "rock hard Toyos" that are the culprit. Remember, they're low profile tires wrapped around 19" wheels and you may be one of those owners who's sensitive to those stiff sidewalls. Try dropping the pressures a few pounds. The main reason Mazda recommends 36psi is to minimize rolling resistance and maximize fuel economy. My 2013 Touring model (with 17" rims/tires; recommended psi 34#) is lowered 1.5" which makes the already stiff CX-5 suspension even stiffer. So I run my tires at 30# to take the edge off with no adverse affects. Try dropping yours to 32# and see if you notice any difference. Oh, and the other possibility with your two month old car (if you have not checked tire pressures since delivery) is that the dealer delivered the car with overinflated tires from the trip across the pond (done so by Mazda in order to prevent flat-spotting of the tires during transit). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to lower the pressure during PDI )pre-delivery inspection). Good luck!

Last edited by paris1; 02-13-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Don't be so sure it's those "rock hard Toyos" that are the culprit. Remember, they're low profile tires wrapped around 19" wheels and you may be one of those owners who's sensitive to those stiff sidewalls. Try dropping the pressures a few pounds. The main reason Mazda recommends 36psi is to minimize rolling resistance and maximize fuel economy. My 2013 Touring model (with 17" rims/tires; recommended psi 34#) is lowered 1.5" which makes the already stiff CX-5 suspension even stiffer. So I run my tires at 30# to take the edge off with no adverse affects. Try dropping yours to 32# and see if you notice any difference. Oh, and the other possibility with your two month old car (if you have not checked tire pressures since delivery) is that the dealer delivered the car with overinflated tires from the trip across the pond (done so by Mazda in order to prevent flat-spotting of the tires during transit). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to lower the pressure during PDI )pre-delivery inspection). Good luck!

I'll give that a try on lowering air pressure. I think I'm running about 35lbs last I checked.
I searched the Tire Rack reviews under these Toyo tires and a few users switched to the Pirellis in which they like the ride but lost some fuel economy and maybe some handling. So, I'm just researching options and may even consider -1 sizing, going with 18'' wheels along with proper tire sizing which should be a taller, more comfortable tire. The overly tight ride is my only complaint. The great seats help a lot. Glad I didn't choose the RAV.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:54 PM

I am happy with the feel of the Contis. They seem to grip the road, and feel "comfortable" (hard to describe really). I haven't done any gas mileage calculations.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Oh, and the other possibility with your two month old car (if you have not checked tire pressures since delivery) is that the dealer delivered the car with overinflated tires from the trip across the pond (done so by Mazda in order to prevent flat-spotting of the tires during transit). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to lower the pressure during PDI )pre-delivery inspection). Good luck!

Like P1 said ^^

My 2016GT was delivered with 46psi all the way around after having gone through 2 dealerships. I dropped to the 36 recommended and am happy.
Gonna wait to see about tire wear to adjust from there.

As an aside, I ran 17" wheels on my Speed 3 (down from 18") with the appropriate diameter/circumference - Tire Rack has a handy website for researching that stuff. It makes a notable difference in ride quality.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lea Ann
I am happy with the feel of the Contis. They seem to grip the road, and feel "comfortable" (hard to describe really). I haven't done any gas mileage calculations.
That sounds good enough for me. Discount tire gives a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so I feel safe about the change. They quoted me $805 for everything with a small credit for the Toyos. They said they've had several of these cars come into their shop with same complaint. Thx Lee Ann

Old 02-17-2016, 08:58 PM

The contis are excellent. They are also great in snow. Ignore those insist that you have to have dedicated snows for winter- they are dead wrong.
Tires have come a long way and these rock. I drove the CX5 in 8" of heavy snow, did great and braked well too.
Of course, two weeks later, we had temps in the 60's (yeah, glad I didn't have snows!).
Real nice riding tire, probably as good in the snow as a dedicated snow tire vintage 2000, great warranty, this is a great tire.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Default Needing new Tires '14 Grand Touring

At 22k miles I picked up a long screw and drove to my local America's Tire shop where they fixed the tire. Free with re-balance.
Alas, they measured 4 32" - 5 32" tread depth on all four tires. I keep them aired to 36 psi and rotate at each 6 months.
We are not thrilled with the Toyo A23 tires due to road noise, stiffness of ride, and their almost $300 each replacement cost.
Considering that we have almost 10k miles of a driving trip ahead of us and want to keep the cost of new tires down while getting a set of all season tires that are quieter, smoother in ride and have longer life - we are considering the following tires in the larger size of 235/55-19:

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S 235/55-19 About $230 each. Always happy with Michelin tires over the past 45 years.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS 235/55-19 About $210 each. Rated #1 by Tire Track.

Any feedback or recommendations from the Wisdom Of The Group?

Tom in Brentwood, CA

Old 03-13-2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tomonly
At 22k miles I picked up a long screw and drove to my local America's Tire shop where they fixed the tire. Free with re-balance.
Alas, they measured 4 32" - 5 32" tread depth on all four tires. I keep them aired to 36 psi and rotate at each 6 months.
We are not thrilled with the Toyo A23 tires due to road noise, stiffness of ride, and their almost $300 each replacement cost.
Considering that we have almost 10k miles of a driving trip ahead of us and want to keep the cost of new tires down while getting a set of all season tires that are quieter, smoother in ride and have longer life - we are considering the following tires in the larger size of 235/55-19:

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S 235/55-19 About $230 each. Always happy with Michelin tires over the past 45 years.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS 235/55-19 About $210 each. Rated #1 by Tire Track.

Any feedback or recommendations from the Wisdom Of The Group?

Tom in Brentwood, CA
I don't see the Continental TrueContact here. It's on every other CX-5 owner's wish list and is always at the top of TireRack's recommended list.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Has anyone found an A/T tire that fits out 19 rims. Looking for more of a bite on the side walls.

Thanks

Last edited by Reggaetrix; 03-15-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 PM

Had my first svc at the Mazda dealer today. The svc mgr is a former tire guy so he knew a lot. Said the most important spec is the circumference of the tire and that a wider 235 tire may be different. I assumed the main concern was the speedo error but he said no, it can throw off proper function of ABS and traction control. I take it with a grain of salt and would say to compare any possible replacement tire with the stock tires at TireRack.com. the specs are listed when you do a a "compare." Some of the 235 size tires spec out very close in width and circumference to stock 225 size.

Quick Reply: What 19" tires to buy?