Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

What 19" tires to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Default What 19" tires to buy?

I have the 19" wheels on a 2014 Grand Touring Mazda CX-5 and the factory tires are worn down at 38,000 miles.

The recommended 225/55R19 99V tires are rare, and expensive, and not in stock most places, but the tire guys recommend 235/50R19 or 235/55R19

So, if I go with a slightly different size (to get a cheaper, in-stock tire) do any of you have recommendations?

What did you replace your factory tires with, and why?

NOTE: I live in Florida. My mechanic says don't get Michelin's with long tread life, because he says the tires will dry rot before the tread is worn so I won't get the value I paid for if I paid extra for long tread life.

THANKS in advance!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:31 PM

Don't know what you're budget is, but Continental TruContact Touring is at the top of every short list these days, including TireRack.com., where they're $166 each. They come in your size too. That's what I plan on replacing my 17" Touring tires with.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Don't know what you're budget is, but Continental TruContact Touring is at the top of every short list these days, including TireRack.com., where they're $166 each. They come in your size too. That's what I plan on replacing my 17" Touring tires with.
EXCELLENT! That gives me more information for research. I've been warned against long tread life Michelins, and have quotes for Nitto, Firestone, and Bridgestone. The options are kind of overwhelming to me. I'll go look up Continental Tires and their reviews, and see what I can find out!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM

The Contis are long life too (you can tell by the UTG rating of 800!), but if they are within your budget, what the heck! If you have any further questions, maybe I can help.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
The Contis are long life too (you can tell by the UTG rating of 800!), but if they are within your budget, what the heck! If you have any further questions, maybe I can help.
I just ordered them! No one previously had suggested them and they have excellent ratings as well as being the right size (previously looking at options near to the recommendation, but slightly different). AND the long tread wear life. I'm VERY HAPPY that you replied. I've been agonizing, and never found anything I was as interested in for the price. Tire's Plus was able to get them for installation tomorrow for an out the door price of $872 Tire Kingdom wanted $1,116 and Sam's Club was too busy to give me a quote, so I just pulled the trigger.

THANKS AGAIN for your help - took a weight off of my shoulders, and marked something off of my to do list!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 PM

Do me a favor. After you've had them on for a couple of weeks, leave a comment with your general impressions here. Ride quality, road noise and that sort of thing. OK?

Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 PM

I'll do that! If you haven't heard from me, and think of it, post a comment asking me to come back! :-)

Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 PM

Ok lea Ann comeback and let us know. We are all waiting lol

Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 AM

Hello, I'm NOT a car person and know very little how to describe them. They are no longer bald. LOL. They do seem to grip the road more. Ask me specific questions and I'll see if I am able to answer them. I've been driving my truck more recently, and am about to leave on a 1-week trip with my truck, so if you can ask me in about a month, I will have been back and driving my car again.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:06 AM

How do the new tires handle the curves and how's the ride?
I know it's early but do you see any gain or loss on fuel economy?

I've had my new CX-5 for 2 months and these rock-hard Toyo tires must go.
Also looking at the Contis.

Quick Reply: What 19" tires to buy?