Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Pump Failure - Camshaft failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 AM
Exclamation Vacuum Pump Failure - Camshaft failure

My 2012 CX-5 have just been in for it's 75,000m service. I was advised that the vacuum pump was in the process of failing. That's the vacuum pump which provides servo power to the brakes! It needed replacement otherwise driving the vehicle would become dangerous. Ok. So why did this happen? Because the cam shaft was worn excessively (there was a faulty batch), putting iron filings in the oil. Given that diesel CX-5's leak fuel into the engine oil causing it to thin (another known fault) this led to the toxic mix of thin oil with iron filings destroying the pump. So what other damage might it have caused? "It's usually the turbo that fails first sir". And what else? " Wouldn't like to speculate, sir"

The upshot is that as the car was out of warranty, I paid £1,000 repair bill and have an engine that I have no confidence in surviving much longer. Mazda UK will take no responsibility despite the car being purchased from new and it having a perfect main dealer service record, and also my 15 year history with Mazda.

Be warned, although you are driving a lovely car ( I loved mine ) but you can expect premature engine failure or worse. My advice would be to get rid of it before the warranty runs out or purchase the extended warranty.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Of course you know you're not the only CX-5 diesel owner to suffer this fate. Mazda really blew it by putting this engine out in the market before it was fully developed. When they realized what was happening, they pulled the plug on releasing it in the US market where litigation over such failures would have been very tough on such a small company. Hopefully, when it does get here in the next year or so, it will be bug-free. But that doesn't help and other Brits.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Your CX5 should of been under a special service program for this exact fault. SHAME ON MAZDA

Old 01-21-2017, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. According to Mazda UK, it was subject to an inspection for this fault at each service until it dropped out of warranty. After that Mazda were no longer responsible and so the inspection of the vacuum pump ceased at subsequent services until it became clear that the brakes had started under-performing. As I see it, Mazda UK knowingly allowed me to continue to drive a deteriorating vehicle with a known brake failure issue without warning me and without checking for the fault.

I've sold the car.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:00 AM
Default Invoice

There is an official recall for the vacuum pump now, you should find the invoice for your repair and send it in to Mazda for a full refund!

Old 11-18-2019, 06:37 AM

Hi Sadoka

Where did you see this. I just called my local and national dealership in the UK and they deny all knowledge of a vacuum pump recall on CX5s

Old 11-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shrewsbury
Hi Sadoka

Where did you see this. I just called my local and national dealership in the UK and they deny all knowledge of a vacuum pump recall on CX5s
Hi Shrewsbury,

The details for the recall (AJ024A) can be found here;
https://car-recalls.co.uk/recall/maz...r-prematurely/

The recall has been registered in the RAPEX warning system in the EU and was brought to light by member state Germany or Romania I believe.