Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Transmission replacement @ 700 miles

Old 08-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Default Transmission replacement @ 700 miles

First time poster here, 2 weeks ago tomorrow (Tues) I bought a 2016 CX-5 Touring. My first Mazda. I registered here today after lurking since I got the car. Had it towed in Saturday, just got off the phone with service guy. It's the 2nd one he's seen in a week. I told my salesman I'm checking out options. Don't know if I have any, but after what I went through with the dealership Saturday I thought it sounded good. Trying to keep a positive attitude instead of beating myself up. Anybody got any thoughts, questions, or experiences to share?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:22 PM

Well , crap, I was so rattled when he told me but I believe he said a new one. I really was expecting to hear it was some electronic something or other. He did say Mazda was aware of a problem. Supposed to be 2 weeks before it gets here. I'll be checking on this first thing in the morning. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Is this a pretty common problem? I was thinking of getting one, but trying to find out what the normal issues are with it.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by honeybadger
Is this a pretty common problem? I was thinking of getting one, but trying to find out what the normal issues are with it.
Absolutely not! I've been driving a CX-5 for almost three years now and have been a member of a forum far more active than this one and I've read about just a handful of transmission replacements during that time.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Absolutely not! I've been driving a CX-5 for almost three years now and have been a member of a forum far more active than this one and I've read about just a handful of transmission replacements during that time.
Thanks, I meant with the 2016s - there's not much out on the internet that I can find.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM

There was a problem with a limited number of 2015 torque converters first reported here: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-recall-34127/. As far as I know, it did not affect many cars and dealers were pretty much on top of it from the get-go. BTW, there was never a formal recall, just a dealer-initiated customer alert.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'm aware of about 4 or 5 skyactivA transmissions being replaced at my dealership in the 2 & 1/2 years I've been working here in Australia.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 PM

OK I found this in another forum. Don't know if I'm allowed to share this here, if not, I apologize. A lot of these posts sound like what happened to mine. Warning lights on, loss of power, drive not engaging. For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

Old 09-02-2015, 09:47 PM

Fixes ranging from reboot to replacing parts (valve body, solenoid) to replacing transmissions.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 PM

The "bottom line" is most of those problems were resolved with a software update or replacement of a faulty valve. The entire transmission was hardly ever replaced.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission replacement @ 700 miles